Building a workstock 6.4?

00f3fiddy

Reaction score
I did a quick search and came up empty! What engine wise would make the 6.4 own workstock? The dmax crowd and thier efi lives have been putting on a show down here. Are the Tow Powers "stock appearing"? I've been thinking about trying to get a 6.4 after the first of the year. One of my buddies 6.4 dynoed 530/10?? on dunbars ucorrected with the h&s hot damn and a dpf delete pipe. That might cover some of them but I think more will be needed for the rest!

The rules are no other power adders, stock appearing turbo and the rest is the obvious stuff!

00f3fiddy

Reaction score
If I purchase a truck i wont be able to go all out right off the bat. How would tunes, delete, ported rails, and 60's do? Would stock fuel and turbo be ok? How neccessary is a waste gate with new tunes. I thought I read somewhere that the newer tunes have less back pressure!

jdgleason

Reaction score
If I purchase a truck i wont be able to go all out right off the bat. How would tunes, delete, ported rails, and 60's do? Would stock fuel and turbo be ok? How neccessary is a waste gate with new tunes. I thought I read somewhere that the newer tunes have less back pressure!

Even just a tuned truck will own the majority of workstock classes. I would save your pennies for a transmission, and not worry about power adders until you have a good trans behind it. A stock tranny wont hold up long with that much power sled pulling. But yes, tow powers are stock appearing, and would dominate that class.

jdgleason

Reaction score
One thing you need to keep in mind is that the 6.4 is a much heavier truck and makes more torque than your average work stock duramax. Plus, you wont need sleeves and braces to pull. This puts you miles ahead of most duramaxes.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
One thing you need to keep in mind is that the 6.4 is a much heavier truck and makes more torque than your average work stock duramax. Plus, you wont need sleeves and braces to pull. This puts you miles ahead of most duramaxes.

There are some STRONG work stock Duramax's pulling in our area.

Like you stated above though, I would address the transmission first.

MINK

Reaction score

and at times id rather need sleaves then have to deal with our front end hop...I'd love to see more 6.4s in the pulling world.

00f3fiddy

Reaction score

Yes Jeff there are. That 1 6.4 from penn at smokin had them all cryin "he's sprayin, check his truck again". Hopefully next season they can cry about ME!

Whats some ball park numbers for a built trans?

MINK

Reaction score
Yes Jeff there are. That 1 6.4 from penn at smokin had them all cryin "he's sprayin, check his truck again". Hopefully next season they can cry about ME!

3gs+ theres so many upgrades available

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score

Yea, that truck pulled strong and it only made 540ish peak on the dyno. It was setup for pulling though.

00f3fiddy

Reaction score
IF and I say IF I am able to get one it will be set up to pull. I hope things pan out!

Did I see somewhere on here or psn where adding additional shocks on the front end helped w/ hop?

And do they make 4 link kits for stock height?

MINK

Reaction score
IF and I say IF I am able to get one it will be set up to pull. I hope things pan out!

Did I see somewhere on here or psn where adding additional shocks on the front end helped w/ hop?

And do they make 4 link kits for stock height?

I would just do the 4 link, yes you can stay at stock height

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Personally I would spend the money on a trans. Lockers suspension stops 4link Ect
Then do a pump and nozzles

Fwiw tow powers don't fit work stock rules here.

Sent from my DROIDX

00f3fiddy

Reaction score
Personally I would spend the money on a trans. Lockers suspension stops 4link Ect
Then do a pump and nozzles

Fwiw tow powers don't fit work stock rules here.

Sent from my DROIDX

Well if it happens, my plan was to build all that I can, stops, traction bars, wieght bar(depending on truck size, hope for reg cab) and hitch. I would like to clean house on tunes alone, and plan on trying it first.

Can the stock turbos handle a modded pump and nozzles? Smoke wont matter because it will be a pull truck!

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Guys are running modded stock turbos on their Duramax's here. One guy at Smokin had a 71mm wheel stuffed in a modded stock LB7 turbo. Another guy pulled with a Garrett 4094AVNT, which is modded stock turbo.

I don't see why Tow Powers, Torque Tows, 71mm atmosphere, Industrial turbos, RCD work stock compounds, etc. can't be used too. Don't some Duramax guys pull with those Fleece Cheetah turbos and Danville modded turbos in work stock in some of these pulling organizations? Guys make 650 no problem with big fuel and those turbos. That should give us every right to run modded stockers too.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Guys are running modded stock turbos on their Duramax's here. One guy at Smokin had a 71mm wheel stuffed in a modded stock LB7 turbo. Another guy pulled with a Garrett 4094AVNT, which is modded stock turbo.

I don't see why Tow Powers, Torque Tows, 71mm atmosphere, Industrial turbos, RCD work stock compounds, etc. can't be used too. Don't some Duramax guys pull with those Fleece Cheetah turbos and Danville modded turbos in work stock in some of these pulling organizations? Guys make 650 no problem with big fuel and those turbos. That should give us every right to run modded stockers too.

all depends on the rules, stock apearing, or stock inducer sizes, ours even list compressor wheel sizes for stock turbos to be clear...

Also look into a lock up switch...

Latest posts

Members online