Built transmissions what's good what's not?

smokedout250

Reaction score
I'm hoping to be getting a built transmission sometime this winter... I'm finding people tend to like certain brands. Hear are the options. having one built by a company, buying the parts and having a local shop do it, or the feared DIY transmission. I'm looking for info on parts. What's needed what isn't. What's budget friendly. How do I know what will work for me?... As I sit right now I'm looking at 600hp fuel only and hoping to spray down the road. I dd the truck but is also plan to run at the track and do some pulling on the weekends. I would like to see 700hp down the road some day but that may never happen 600 is what I'm shooting for. I know a lot of you have information regarding this subject and I have done some research as well. I'm really looking for feedback and in depth reviews of products. I don't just want a brand I want a reason why there product is recommended. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdgleason

Reaction score
I love my elite trans. It's full billet, considered their stage 4 transmission. Between that build and good trans tuning, it feels smoother than a stock transmission until you put some pedal to it. Under load it shifts super crisp and quick enough you hardly know what happened.

No sloppy shifts, no missed shifts, etc. looking at the track record of elites transmission should tell you all you need to know about them. Erik Clausen's truck runs right around 9,000 lbs and his trans shifted flawlessly through the dpc putting down right around 4 digits to the ground.

If you want, pm me and I can give you prices, options, answer any questions you have.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Both Elite and John Woods have done good for us.

Absolutely the biggest key is tuning. Elite stage 2 we installed about a month ago shifts flawless now with the transmission tuning from Gearhead. Took some work to dial it in originally, but it now shifts awesome. It was very impressive seeing what a tuned 6.4 on stock fuel and stock turbos will do with just a transmission upgrade.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You can have the best trans tuning and the best built trans... But if the tuning doesnt match, its no good. The 5r's downfall.

Hellen Keller sent this?

Dirty_Stroke

Reaction score
I'll throw another vote out for the warren comp tranny. For the price you can't beat it. And it uses most of the same parts the other builders are using that cost twice the price. My warren trans has took all the abuse I've thrown at it and hasn't skipped a beat.

Ross@Flyindiesel

Reaction score
warren tranny is really stout! amazing shifts and holds up nice! if someone wants a 5r that's the only one ill put in. if you want something that will hold more than 700 consistently get a 4r

MorganY

Reaction score
warren tranny is really stout! amazing shifts and holds up nice! if someone wants a 5r that's the only one ill put in. if you want something that will hold more than 700 consistently get a 4r

I kindly disagree. By the time the 4r swap is done, assuming you pay someone to do it, you could have bought a 700hp capable Stage 4 from Elite or NADP.

700+hp capable quality 5r's are available, and will last many miles on a 6.0 DD. You cannot have a trans for $3,800 that will handle 700hp or 'comp' abuse for long.

NADP trans are 5g's...and have held 700hp over a year for many guys on here.

Tadd's stage 5 trans is nothing short of a miracle. The one I work with handles 900hp weekly, Two 1150hp 4wd runs on spray, fuel only launches, many burnouts, and never slips. Factory solenoids too. Had no idea a 5r could do what his stage 5 units do.

Greg your spot on. Bad tuning will tear up even the best of transmissions.

jdgleason

Reaction score
I kindly disagree. By the time the 4r swap is done, assuming you pay someone to do it, you could have bought a 700hp capable Stage 4 from Elite or NADP.

700+hp capable quality 5r's are available, and will last many miles on a 6.0 DD. You cannot have a trans for $3,800 that will handle 700hp or 'comp' abuse for long.

Tadd's stage 5 trans is nothing short of a miracle. The one I work with handles 900hp weekly, Two 1150hp 4wd runs on spray, fuel only launches, many burnouts, and never slips. Factory solenoids too. Had no idea a 5r could do what his stage 5 units do.

Well said. 4r being the only route after 700 is garbage.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score

Very well said, Morgan

dieseljosh07

Reaction score

I was going to say the same thing. A 5R can defiantly hold 700+hp if built correctly. Not going to happen for $3-4k though. And another vote for correct tuning. When tuned correctly it's surprising how well a stock trans can hold up if not overly abused. Poor tuning, even a $5k built unit can be destroyed.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I love my Twisted Diesel level 2. I'm also gonna give the same advice as the others that good tuning is a must. No matter what trans you decide on, make sure the tuning is there or it won't last.

duddy

Reaction score
I see everyone has brought about tuning, Are there certain strategies or pointers as to what direction you need to go with tuning. Or is it an across the board, like get on a dyno and work out the bugs?

smokedout250

Reaction score
The goal for the truck is 600hp dd with some weekend play time. Truck doesn't tow much maybe a little here and there. Racing is only a couple times a year and a possible sled pull once in a great while. I just need something I can not have to worry about. Roll up to the track if I want have a good time and still make it to work the next day.

Latest posts

Members online