Buying my first 6.0

JrStroker

Reaction score
Hey all, so I guess the title says it all. Since I have virtually no clue about 6.0s and 6.0 aftermarket stuff, I'm asking for help here. I know the basic tune, delete, studs, gaskets and the 'bulletproofing' that people tall about, but that's it.

So I found a truck I'm thinking of buying as a secondary truck while I'm in ND. My 6.4 is still in TN.

I'll attach pictures and what info I know of the truck. Any help on whether it's a good truck or not or anything I need to look for will be greatly appreciated!!!!

3c77a4b8833e826126063ad3f9c4aafa.jpg
c93b377a5182bad5cf75f85f3347fbf0.jpg
2a6991906fefb6d970b01c32061707b1.jpg
60db698d5a5fa236ed2eabe6a0ab1fe2.jpg
0c222dcf89c827962d7c0cc09797a7b9.jpg
106060c69b30558e1db7dce650eed505.jpg

So aside from what the add says, here's what I've gathered off the owner from texting him for 2 weeks. Just a base model 4x4 5spd work truck. No bells or whistles what so ever. The plan for the truck is just a work truck/daily driver. No more mods will be added by me unless it's preventive maintenance.

All of the work was done while he owned the truck. (Can't remember miles on the mods) Heads were taken off, decked, magnafluxed and put back on with new gaskets and ARP studs. The EGR was deleted and the oil cooler was replaced with a new one.

Anyone ever heard of TSD tuning?
Do the 235,000 miles worry anyone but me?

When I go look at the truck I'm gonna ask to see it cold, to check injectors. I'm gonna check for a coolant filter. Anything else I need to pay close attention to?

He's asking $9000, I was thinking $7000, what do you guys think?

€ory Anderson

sootie

Reaction score
TSD is Trusk Source Diesel, good tunes. Do you have any type of monitoring device? coolant/oil temp deltas would be good to watch. obviously look for dried coolant around the degas bottle. a cold start should tell you a bit about the injectors. hot start for hpo leaks.

JrStroker

Reaction score
TSD is Trusk Source Diesel, good tunes. Do you have any type of monitoring device? coolant/oil temp deltas would be good to watch. obviously look for dried coolant around the degas bottle. a cold start should tell you a bit about the injectors. hot start for hpo leaks.
Where would I look for HP oil leaks at? And thank you btw.

€ory Anderson

sootie

Reaction score
extended hot crank indicates an hpo leak. you wouldnt be able to visibly see it unless the valve covers were off.

slowcoupe

Reaction score
6.0 is a good motor as long as its been maintained well. Ask him about the heads coming off? Who might have done the work and if he has receipts. You can verify that the studs have been done by looking down near the covers on the driver side. You'll see a nut instead of a bolt. Ask about fuel and oil intervals, about any other maintenance he did while he was in there deleting it.

If you can swing it pick yourself up a scangauge II from autozone. You can pick one up for $150, plug it into teh OBD port before taking for a drive and its cheap insurance to check for potential ECT and EOT variations. If this happens to not be the truck for you then you can use it while searching for others. I have always done this in the past.

Other than that verify the 4x4 works properly, Check for oil leaks, etc. Same as any other vehicle. Good luck and you'll love that ZF6. I have one behind my 6.4 on behind my 7.3 and looking to swap one behind my 6.0 as well.

EDIT:heres a link of what ARP look like from above.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/930633-how-can-you-tell-if-the-head-bolts-have-been-replaced.html

Last edited:

JrStroker

Reaction score
extended hot crank indicates an hpo leak. you wouldnt be able to visibly see it unless the valve covers were off.
Ahhhh I see! Thanks!!

6.0 is a good motor as long as its been maintained well. Ask him about the heads coming off? Who might have done the work and if he has receipts. You can verify that the studs have been done by looking down near the covers on the driver side. You'll see a nut instead of a bolt. Ask about fuel and oil intervals, about any other maintenance he did while he was in there deleting it.

If you can swing it pick yourself up a scangauge II from autozone. You can pick one up for $150, plug it into teh OBD port before taking for a drive and its cheap insurance to check for potential ECT and EOT variations. If this happens to not be the truck for you then you can use it while searching for others. I have always done this in the past.

Other than that verify the 4x4 works properly, Check for oil leaks, etc. Same as any other vehicle. Good luck and you'll love that ZF6. I have one behind my 6.4 on behind my 7.3 and looking to swap one behind my 6.0 as well.

EDIT:heres a link of what ARP look like from above.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/930633-how-can-you-tell-if-the-head-bolts-have-been-replaced.html

I think we talked about receipts before, I think he has them. But thank you for all the help! I'm excited about the ZF6

€ory Anderson

JrStroker

Reaction score
No, unfortunately I did not buy it. The guy started acting weird. Saying he was out of town and that he'd be back on (this day). Then he'd never contact me after I tried contacting him. So finally I just gave up. I gave him 3 weeks to meet me, and nothing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.