Bypassing HPFP on Engine?

Boyce604

Reaction score
I'm new to Diesels and these 6.4's. Just put a lift pump in it this last weekend. Seemed like when drained so crap came out and don't know how much made it to the hpfp.

But I'm always reading people have problems with the HPFP goin out and how hard and how much it is to replace.

Do they offer a better aftermarket pump that mounts else where or anything or is everyone stuck with the factory one.

I'm just worried if it goes out that we are out 3-5k or more just for a pump and figured there was different options maybe? I don't have a lift to pull cab off my self to do work so would have to go to shop.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
what kind of crap?
if there was metal in the filter then the hpfp is going out, if not thats what the filters are for

no stock pumps are the best bet. you can do dual fuelers or mount a pump up front and elminate the pump in the valley

Midwest diesel can get you set up with that.

the turbos have to come out to get to the pump, its not an easy job but do-able with the cab on. i would give yourself a solid 8 hours to do it the first time, if not more

Boyce604

Reaction score
I didn't see any metal shavings. It look more like sand in a way, dark and light brown grainy look. It was in a bottle and I tried putting a magnet to it but nothing was attracted to the magnet.

The trucks running great now with new lift pump and pray it does, but this HPFP talk has me worried a lil.

Just didn't know if once it goes out if there was a different route to go than a stock hpfp again.

Filters looked pretty clean in it.

dsberman94

Reaction score
the hpfp in the valley goes bad because noone drains the water seperator. if you were to take the truck back to ford for that under warranty they disassemble the hpfp and look for rust. if theres rust they don't cover the repair cost because the owner didn't drain the seperator. the stuff you got was probably from bad or really dirty fuel.

Boyce604

Reaction score
It's my moms truck and we always owned ford our whole lives. And don't wanna go to a different brand cause a fuel issue. I drain it once a month for her.

Is it really that common or just really hyped up.

I have 2 Lincoln Navigators, a 2007 Mazda 3, and my mom has a late 1980 F350 with a big block, 1997 F150, and this 08 powerstroke. So always be a ford guy. I know all company's have there problem but seem people have this problem and is really expensive fix.

Just was hopin there was a fix if it went out.

dsberman94

Reaction score
the fix is to replace it. most you hear about going bad is probably on high mileage trucks where the seperator isnt drained regularly. the fix is to replace it. lift cab remove downpipes and maybe turbo. its not terribly expensive but its not super cheap either. 1100 before core charge from ford i believe.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I didn't see any metal shavings. It look more like sand in a way, dark and light brown grainy look. It was in a bottle and I tried putting a magnet to it but nothing was attracted to the magnet.

The trucks running great now with new lift pump and pray it does, but this HPFP talk has me worried a lil.

Just didn't know if once it goes out if there was a different route to go than a stock hpfp again.

Filters looked pretty clean in it.

If the filters look ok then most likely you are good. Is the truck bone stock? No tune or anything?

Latest posts

Members online