Cab bold wont tighten

golfpro2301

Reaction score
I just had the HPFP replaced on my 6.4 a few months ago. Afterwards I had that bottoming out issue I described in another thread that turned out to be worn out rubber pieces on the cab mounts. I was at one of my BBQ competitions a few weeks ago and the front wheels were turned left and noticed that the place that replaced the HPFP didnt even screw in the driver side bolt at the front. It is just hanging there and I cant get it screwed back in. Any ideas?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Lmao.... man o man, these shops nowadays. Same story, different shop..

Basically your cage that the nut is 'held' in by is split. Remove the head light and hold the nut with a pry bar and hit it with a impact

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
We weld them in prior to femoving the front bolts. The front ones like to get rusted in kinda, every time they come out a bunch of water comes out with them. With the nuts welded you can hit them with an impact and not worry about them.

golfpro2301

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Changing the oil tomorrow and will do this. I am looking at replacing the bushing myself as the shop wants $500 to do it. How many are there. I see 6 on the 6.4 is that correct? I actually have a welder. Is it worth welding the nut in place tomorrow? I have been driving around with the rubber gone for about a month now. I am assuming it wont hurt anything its just annoying

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
If you are changing the mount or insulator, i would weld both nuts in. 4 bolts on each headlight and a couple christmas trees on a cover on he passenger side. Plus then that way the welder only comes out once.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
those cage nuts like to spin up front. We tack the nut in place before doing anything as well. no matter how much heat or finesse we put on the front bolts I can count on 1 hand how many haven't spun.

golfpro2301

Reaction score
So after many curse words and beers I finally fixed it. Removed headlight as you guys suggested. The hole in frame to access nut was so small couldnt even fit hand in it. After maneuvering the bolt down to where I can see the nut I noticed what looked to be small pieces of angle iron on sides of frame rails. Looks like they were designed to hold nut flush against frame but they were all fubar beyond belief. Took forever to move them to let bolt drop to frame. It required about a 6in lead of flux core wire to get back in there. Tacked in place and tried putting bolt in. No luck (here is where the wrenches almost started flying. Used a chizel and a hammer to pop welds loose and noticed that the nut was sitting at angle. After a few more min I finally got it to lay flat and line up. Tacked in place and bolt is finally back in.

Latest posts

Members online