Caltracs vs. traction bars for 2wd

BOHICA256

Reaction score
So from what I've gathered so far is that caltracs will stiffen the ride some, make some noise, but work well for the 2wd trucks because of traction issues. And that traction bars are more of an axle wrap fix?

I'll be running the MPD S367 turbo kit here in about a week and the next upgrade will be either a 15' pump or Morgan's stroker pump.

I drive around 500 miles a week, about 85%-90% highway and don't tow hardly ever.
So I'm wanting everyone's opinion who's run both or either, on which route would be the best way for me to go since I'm 2wd

Layson

Reaction score
I would go with One Up Offroad traction bars. Give Jared a call at River City Diesel.

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
You're going to absolutely hate how they ride on the highway if you go with Caltracs. I was just about sick by the time we got where we were going last time I rode in a truck with them on. They are great if you are leaving the line at a drag strip (once set up correctly) but anything else and they suck. Like smacking the throttle from a roll and it just bounces like crazy. I'd go with regular traction bars of you plan to daily drive it. PMF, OUO, or Flight Fab get my vote.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I ran both on my 2wd. Go with regular traction bars. They ride better and work better.

madman1234509

Reaction score
All I have to say is I just put caltracs on my truck.... Rides like stock. You just need to know how to set them up. With them on they do stiffen the back of the truck up and actually rake up the back end a bit. Took a single leaf out, rides like they aren't even there, and I haven't heard a single noise out of them in the last 800 miles. I love them. The trucks shifts are much more precise as well.

JDub

Reaction score
Guess I'm the odd man out on this deal then, because I'd choose the Caltracs everytime. With traction bars my 2wd truck (only 450hp at the time) would break the tires loose on the 1-2 shift and spin until I lifted. Switched to Caltracs and it would just bark the tires on the 1-2, then they'd hook and go. I had WAY better traction results with the Caltrac bars.

As for the noise, they offer a soft bushing you can place around the pin that rides on the leaf spring that takes most of the noise away. Biggest downside to the Caltrac is the install sucks. Pressing the sock leafspring eye bushing out and inserting the new one is a pain.

Last edited:

BOHICA256

Reaction score
You're going to absolutely hate how they ride on the highway if you go with Caltracs. I was just about sick by the time we got where we were going last time I rode in a truck with them on. They are great if you are leaving the line at a drag strip (once set up correctly) but anything else and they suck. Like smacking the throttle from a roll and it just bounces like crazy. I'd go with regular traction bars of you plan to daily drive it. PMF, OUO, or Flight Fab get my vote.

I do DD this truck, I think is the first time I've heard that they are horrible in ride quality.

I ran both on my 2wd. Go with regular traction bars. They ride better and work better.

This is what I like to hear, but then it conflicts with the next two guys.. Getting two guys that are saying trac bars, then two saying caltracs

All I have to say is I just put caltracs on my truck.... Rides like stock. You just need to know how to set them up. With them on they do stiffen the back of the truck up and actually rake up the back end a bit. Took a single leaf out, rides like they aren't even there, and I haven't heard a single noise out of them in the last 800 miles. I love them. The trucks shifts are much more precise as well.

So it raises the rear end a little bit and a little bit stiffer but other than that you're happy with the drive-ability?

Guess I'm the odd man out on this deal then, because I'd choose the Caltracs everytime. With traction bars my 2wd truck (only 450hp at the time) would break the tires loose on the 1-2 shift and spin until I lifted. Switched to Caltracs and it would just bark the tires on the 1-2, then they'd hook and go. I had WAY better traction results with the Caltrac bars.

As for the noise, they offer a soft bushing you can place around the pin that rides on the leaf spring that takes most of the noise away. Biggest downside to the Caltrac is the install sucks. Pressing the sock leafspring eye bushing out and inserting the new one is a pain.

That's how my truck is now. Spins until I lift from a low speed depending on the road.

Well this is all conflicting so this hasn't persuaded me more one way or another..

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
Lol. I will say man, the truck I rode in (it's sitting at my house right now) is not set right yet. That could play a roll in the way his is but Idk yet.

Sorry for not really helping the situation lol

BOHICA256

Reaction score
I was about to ask if it was possibly not setup correctly. Now it's even harder of a decision as of right now from the feedback so far

madman1234509

Reaction score
The caltracs will bring the rear end up a little depending on how much preload is set on them. So because of that I took a rear leaf out. The truck has the same ride height, and same ride quality then prior to the install. No difference other than much more precise shifting. My truck breaks loose at 55mph so I can't really comment on traction.

My buddy has a 06 5.9 that makes a little over 900hp. Its lifted 2 inches, has 35s, he tows car trailers with it often and has air bags installed. He has caltracs as well, set up the same way with a leaf removed and has no issues. His have been on much longer than mine.

I had traction bars on my last truck. They worked well too. The shifting improved greatly over stock, especially with the Spartan tunes I had then. I chose caltracs this go around because the truck is never going to go off-road or sled pull and the caltracs fit the truck for what I intend to do with it. Plus the price tag isn't bad either.

sootie

Reaction score
i have pmf bars and they greatly helped shift quality and eliminated axle wrap. affordable too.

OUO seems to have nice stuff also. never been a fan of caltracs and if your truck is 4x4 i wouldnt even consider them.

BOHICA256

Reaction score
The caltracs will bring the rear end up a little depending on how much preload is set on them. So because of that I took a rear leaf out. The truck has the same ride height, and same ride quality then prior to the install. No difference other than much more precise shifting. My truck breaks loose at 55mph so I can't really comment on traction.

My buddy has a 06 5.9 that makes a little over 900hp. Its lifted 2 inches, has 35s, he tows car trailers with it often and has air bags installed. He has caltracs as well, set up the same way with a leaf removed and has no issues. His have been on much longer than mine.

I had traction bars on my last truck. They worked well too. The shifting improved greatly over stock, especially with the Spartan tunes I had then. I chose caltracs this go around because the truck is never going to go off-road or sled pull and the caltracs fit the truck for what I intend to do with it. Plus the price tag isn't bad either.

Awesome info, I appreciate it. So they work great with taking out a leaf and when setup properly. The most my truck sees that's off-road are a couple lease roads which I don't have but 3 miles I have to drive on them, so that's not a problem.

i have pmf bars and they greatly helped shift quality and eliminated axle wrap. affordable too.

OUO seems to have nice stuff also. never been a fan of caltracs and if your truck is 4x4 i wouldnt even consider them.

My truck is 2WD, that's why I'm in this dilemma lol

What's making you say traction bars are better for a 2wd application? Did you end up running them on the 2wd trucks?

Kind

Reaction score
I've been running caltracs for 6 years and have yet to experience a poor ride and very little noise. I wouldn't choose anything else for a 2wd based on their design, purpose and my intent with the truck. I noticed a good improvement with my old set up but with the trips and how they build power I'm still putting the power to the ground.

Depending on what you want you can either place the bar in the bottom hole on the front shackle for anti-squat or the top hole for more rear weight transfer. Setting them up properly makes a big difference and it just takes patients.

And for anyone that doesn't think they work good on a 4wd then you've never seen Roger Smiths truck beat everyone else's SS trucks to the 60ft. Pretty sure he consistently cuts 1.4's.

Caltracs or a home made version are a very good option for us 2wd guys that need weight transfer that strait bars don't provide.

BOHICA256

Reaction score
Awesome. This is the type of feedback I'm wanting. Thanks Kind. Just gotta mess around with the way it's setup to get it right, nothing like just bolting up some traction bars and that's it

Kind

Reaction score
Man, I've spent a lot of time tinkering to get them right. Make sure to do a burnout when set and check that your patches are even darkness and length.

BOHICA256

Reaction score
It's gonna be about a month before I can order some but I'm thinking caltracs will be the route I go. And a burnout to test the setup sounds lovely!

mattmal9

Reaction score

Not trying to derail, but what do traction bars do to improve the shift quality? I understand that they help stop axle wrap, but haven't been able to figure out the shifting part.

Layson

Reaction score
Awesome. This is the type of feedback I'm wanting. Thanks Kind. Just gotta mess around with the way it's setup to get it right, nothing like just bolting up some traction bars and that's it

I would give Dave a call and he can answer all your questions on this topic.

He has been doing this for 20+ years and can tell you how each setup works.

It would be worth your time and might even save you money in the long run...LOL

744_ouoinfophone.jpg

madman1234509

Reaction score
Axle wrap causes the entire drive line to move. When that happens it makes the trasmission not happy. Between that and the drive line staying more still/stable is probably why you get much nicer, crisp, shifts

Latest posts

Members online