Cam Install

DBQLSC

Reaction score
OK just need advice from people that have done it. I can't pull my cab but I can pull the engine or drop the transmission. I'm leaning towards dropping the trans because I don't have a way to hold the engine. I'm not dropping the crank either, just pulling the flange.

DBQLSC

Reaction score
But can you do it in cab? I'm assuming so I just am looking for reassurance. This build went from a simple stud job to way out of hand.

04stroker

Reaction score
I would probably pull the engine. I'm not sure you have the clearance to pull the cam straight out of the back without hitting the body. It may be doable but may not be I would pull the engine to save the hassle.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Never thought about it hitting the back of the firewall when pulling it out. Good thinking Ryan.....might hafta pull the motor then.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
I would probably pull the engine. I'm not sure you have the clearance to pull the cam straight out of the back without hitting the body. It may be doable but may not be I would pull the engine to save the hassle.

agree with this....pulling the engine would be my move. We replaced a few cams, its very doable, but I don't think I would attempt in in the truck. its gta be perfect going back in, not something I would risk

Extended Power

Reaction score
If it's down to basically the block with crank and pistons in it, it would be super easy to pull it out of the truck.
Now way I would ever try to do something like that with it still in the truck....waaaaay to many things to go wrong.
Once you have it out, you will be very happy you did it that way.
Nicking a cam bearing, and taking out an entire engine would suck knowing you could have use taken a few extra hours and pulled the engine....cause that's all it takes me to do it by myself.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Any tips to hold the engine? I've got a bigger regular stand but not a side mount one.

I have hung mine off the back of the block three times, with no issues.
Just make sure the bolts are long enough, and the stand is rated for it.

When installing the cam, I have the block on the floor, front facing down, and slowly ease the cam into the block from the top.
Then just lay 'er down, and pick it up with a hoist, and put it on the stand.

DBQLSC

Reaction score
Huh, here I thought I was all alone.:toast: I think I'm going to build a cradle that bolts to the motor mounts. I'll start that after I modify my fuel pump mount. Made it just a little narrow and can get the fittings in.

lenzhotrod

Reaction score
I have hung mine off the back of the block three times, with no issues.
Just make sure the bolts are long enough, and the stand is rated for it.

When installing the cam, I have the block on the floor, front facing down, and slowly ease the cam into the block from the top.
Then just lay 'er down, and pick it up with a hoist, and put it on the stand.

That's how I have done mine. It works and I don't have to buy more tools that I probably won't use again.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.