Cam Swap on stock 6.0L....

Reaction score
Ok I'm sorry didn't know you had more experience than me.

I mean hell you do have a "793hp" 6.0 .
I have never had the chance to speak with you over the phone here is my shop #1-815-703-6652 if you feel like you want to talk. other then that if you want to be disrespectful about my experience with our products then I'm sure you will have no problem calling the shop. Until then it would be nice if you would quit mucking up and being disrespectful to this post.

I mean hell you would think that you must have a good running setup like yours you would make the jump and make more power already...,unless your build will not allow it.

As for Mr Hoffman hope ya get everything straightened out with your build and get one of these things in to feel the difference. We have had these cams in 5 builds now and been nothing but super happy and I look forward to your feedback!

Canadian Mind

Reaction score
Cam is under .360 lift on both intake and exhaust and less than 190 at .050" on both intake and exhaust.

Cool, thanks. It sounds like you have a similar lift to Colt's stage 2, but your approach to the intake and exhaust lift is more like the Elite Diesel Cams. Did you balance the intake overlap between both the exhaust and compression strokes (5* @. 050lift each), or does your cam profile favour one or the other? What is your rational for this?

Now guys are going to really be upset that a cam that has less lift than other cams and has already supported over 900hp and made over 1700ftlbs! :thumbsup::jammin:

I'm not convinced that you need huge amounts of lift for good flow. My understanding of it is that sooner rather than later the port size becomes the major restriction, and no amount of valve lift that creates a greater area for flow through the valves than the area already in the ports is going to result in any additional benefits. Could be wrong though.

Also, while the 6.4 and 6.0 share aftermarket cams, I'm not convinced that if a cam is good for one engine that it will be good for the other.

Reaction score
I'm not convinced that you need huge amounts of lift for good flow
This is very true! what is the air doing when it is going through the intake?? moving right?? so when you have a bigger lift cam the air has to speed up and slow down in the manifold causing a slight pause in flow. You guys know air is dumb it needs direction and it takes a bit for it to be moving before it has a direction. In my theory is that when the air has a direction on where to go it has purpose. And with the intake and exhaust events at the given stock head flow it seems that the bigger the cam the more sloppy it gets.

Also the other manufactures are leaving the exhaust valve open longer to supposedly drive the trubin.... well when you open a pop it cracks when you first open it that that's the "hit" or velocity that is what is driving the trubin not holding it open longer.... when injector fires gasses expand driving the piston down buy the time the fuel is all burnt up it has no more oxygen to burn causing a quench or halt in combustion so holding the exhaust valve open isn't doing anything other then moving dead air not expanding air.

Now with the factory profile the cam wants to help flow not drive. Hence the introduction of vgt turbos ..Engineers looked at it and said hmmm when egr is open a fixed turbo will drop off ... what can we do to fix this?? well the same concept is used on the cam they want "flow" not pulses or "velocity "

Also, while the 6.4 and 6.0 share aftermarket cams, I'm not convinced that if a cam is good for one engine that it will be good for the other.
I would agree. But in this case the 6.0 can only gain from these timing events as well as velocity created.

Hope this helps, I don't really like to get all techy on forum stuff because I am a bad speller and do not have good punctuation, so things can get miss read easy.

Nice positive feedback canadian mind :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Straubtech

Reaction score
Cool, thanks. It sounds like you have a similar lift to Colt's stage 2, but your approach to the intake and exhaust lift is more like the Elite Diesel Cams. Did you balance the intake overlap between both the exhaust and compression strokes (5* @. 050lift each), or does your cam profile favour one or the other? What is your rational for this?

I'm not convinced that you need huge amounts of lift for good flow. My understanding of it is that sooner rather than later the port size becomes the major restriction, and no amount of valve lift that creates a greater area for flow through the valves than the area already in the ports is going to result in any additional benefits. Could be wrong though.

Let me assure you I did not know who Colt, RCD, or Elite was. When I started on this stuff 3 years ago I started with a clean slate and honestly did not care what he OEM cam was nor what was out there. This is stuff is not rocket science....a diesel is an air pump in constant detonation. A cam is needed to supply demand that comes from the air pump for a given rpm range.

Turbo engine gas or diesel are driven by exhaust velocity. The highest velocity reached on the exhaust side is when the valve is open. You want hit that thing hard and quick and shut the valve and continue to do that with each cylinder. Hanging the valve open for longer than is needed is not how you do this. Increasing exhaust duration, time, does not do this. I have not found one engine among the 3 "Tribes" that needs longer duration on the exhaust. If you extend the time of the exhaust valve being open to long all your doing is reducing velocity and helping to cause turbo lag.

The duration on exhaust on this cam is shorter....less than intake. The duration on my Duramax is less on exhaust. The duration on my Cummins is the same at .050" on intake and exhaust. Now on the Cummins, this does not mean it is the same lobe.

In almost any engine application, since the max exhaust velocity happens at low lift, the rate of decrease of lobe area on the exhaust should be greater than the intake. This is most important in a turbo engine as you want to keep the turbo spooling.

Events. In a turbo engine the OEM's open the intake valve early to allow fresh air to mix during overlap and go out the exhaust. This allows for a cleaner exhaust out the pipe. This is not a good way to make power as you have boost working against mechanical force and the more boost you put in the engine the more this battle is increased. For those of you that have bent pushrods, broke cams, cracked pistons....the cause is this internal battle.

To make power in a turbo engine, you want to open the intake valve when the piston is at TDC. Doing this, you stop the internal battle and now you assist the piston and blow it down the cylinder helping the engine to accelerate.

Size Doesn't Matter. At the end of the day we make power with cylinder pressure. The goal in any combustion engine is to maximize the explosion and we do this with pressure. The one that makes the most pressure wins. Duration and lift are just part of the equation, it is the events that control what we trap for combustion. If you can fill the cylinder quicker then you will need less lift and less duration. If you over cam an engine you have just wasted time.

Straubtech

Reaction score
Andy said the kid loves it. the torque comes in a lot lower and comes in very strong. His comparison was like a cummins.

Also ill Be getting ahold of you one of these days and we can get something figured out with a different cam for my ole girl.

Hmmm, I guess I better not give the Cummin's guys to much more power!! Sounds good. You guys call me when your ready.

swinky

Reaction score
A cam causing mileage to go from 12-17....... I honestly can't believe that.

Not trying to disrespect you or your product but that's just insane.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Straubtech

Reaction score
A cam causing mileage to go from 12-17....... I honestly can't believe that.

Not trying to disrespect you or your product but that's just insane.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Customer job puts him on the highway and out in the field with his line of work. He lives in the truck. I had a vendor supplier in here yesterday that is working with 2 OEM's right now. The OEM's have to increase fuel mileage. In the coming years we will see some stuff that only 5 years ago thought impossible.

Canadian Mind

Reaction score
Let me assure you I did not know who Colt, RCD, or Elite was. When I started on this stuff 3 years ago I started with a clean slate and honestly did not care what he OEM cam was nor what was out there. This is stuff is not rocket science....a diesel is an air pump in constant detonation. A cam is needed to supply demand that comes from the air pump for a given rpm range.

Turbo engine gas or diesel are driven by exhaust velocity. The highest velocity reached on the exhaust side is when the valve is open. You want hit that thing hard and quick and shut the valve and continue to do that with each cylinder. Hanging the valve open for longer than is needed is not how you do this. Increasing exhaust duration, time, does not do this. I have not found one engine among the 3 "Tribes" that needs longer duration on the exhaust. If you extend the time of the exhaust valve being open to long all your doing is reducing velocity and helping to cause turbo lag.

The duration on exhaust on this cam is shorter....less than intake. The duration on my Duramax is less on exhaust. The duration on my Cummins is the same at .050" on intake and exhaust. Now on the Cummins, this does not mean it is the same lobe.

In almost any engine application, since the max exhaust velocity happens at low lift, the rate of decrease of lobe area on the exhaust should be greater than the intake. This is most important in a turbo engine as you want to keep the turbo spooling.

Events. In a turbo engine the OEM's open the intake valve early to allow fresh air to mix during overlap and go out the exhaust. This allows for a cleaner exhaust out the pipe. This is not a good way to make power as you have boost working against mechanical force and the more boost you put in the engine the more this battle is increased. For those of you that have bent pushrods, broke cams, cracked pistons....the cause is this internal battle.

To make power in a turbo engine, you want to open the intake valve when the piston is at TDC. Doing this, you stop the internal battle and now you assist the piston and blow it down the cylinder helping the engine to accelerate.

Size Doesn't Matter. At the end of the day we make power with cylinder pressure. The goal in any combustion engine is to maximize the explosion and we do this with pressure. The one that makes the most pressure wins. Duration and lift are just part of the equation, it is the events that control what we trap for combustion. If you can fill the cylinder quicker then you will need less lift and less duration. If you over cam an engine you have just wasted time.

Please don't take what I said as an accusation of being a copy cat. Just trying to make a broad comparison in the hopes it would spur discussion about your process. I learn by reading, and then projecting my interpretation of the information to those who know more than me, and seeing what I got right and what I got wrong.

I'm pretty much in agreement with your rational regarding the intake side. I think the key words you used were "for a given RPM range." My understanding of it is that if your RPMs are high enough, the period of time where you are opening the intake ports during the exhaust or compression cycle are small and wont result in a waste of intake air going out the exhaust port or much fighting against the intake stroke. In the same breath, your window for intake isn't very large either, which is why you want an adequate opening for the desired air flow for as much of the intake stroke as possible. Of course, this is half of what results in choppy idle with a high rpm cam.

I can only think of one possible exception to this. My line of thinking is that the piston is effectively lowering the intake manifold pressure temporarily due to less resistance to flow during the intake stroke (and of course sucking out the mass of air). So long as the turbo is supplying air to the intake manifold, would the cylinder still breath in air through the intake port during the compression cycle until the pressure caused by cylinder compression and the pressure produced by the turbo reach a state of equilibrium? In case this explanation of my thoughts is confusing, I'll try an example with very easy numbers. Lets say the intake manifold has .25lbs of air at 40psi. Intake stroke occurs and draws .2lbs of air and a cylinder pressure of 30PSI by BDC. In this time, the turbo has supplied another .2lbs of air to the intake manifold and was able to hold 40PSI Intake Manifold Pressure for the duration of the intake stroke. Wouldn't the cylinder continue to draw air until both the pressure in the cylinder and the pressure in the manifold are both 40PSI? In my mind this is the point where you'd want the intake valve to finally close in order to prevent air being pushed back into the intake manifold by the cylinder.

I understand this is a resistance your engine needs to fight against, but in the same vein more air means more fuel can be burned so you'd get more power. I also understand that this point of equilibrium, if this is in fact how it works, will vary depending on how well your ports flow air, how much air your turbo flows, the resulting pressure ratios, etc. In my mind a setup with a turbo that flows more air and builds more pressure could likely go deeper into the compression stroke than a setup with a smaller turbo that flows less, all other things being equal. You could say the same thing about more restrictive ports, a log style intake manifold vs. just pipes, different cylinder displacements, etc. Of course, most of us won't be able to go through the math to figure out what is just right, nor have the patience/money to keep trying over and over again to get a perfect cam when reality gets in the way of math. I believe this is why most other companies offer various stages of cams, so consumers have an option that will be "close enough."

For the exhaust side of things, I have to disagree with your premise. I think the heat caused by forcing the air through the valves over a shorter period of time is the factor that affects turbo spool, not the velocity of the air through the ports spinning the turbine faster.

At the end of the day, what drives the turbo is the pressure ratio before and after the turbine. The higher the pressure ratio, the faster the turbine spins because there is more force acting on it. What affects the pressure ratio is how much air is moving, the temperature it is at, and the size of your turbine housing A/R. Suppose the engine is moving 50 lbs of air per minute, no matter what (wastegates aside), there is 50lbs per minute of air moving across that turbine wheel. If, before going to the turbine, the air travels through a large diameter pipe, and then a large diameter a/r, it's going to have lots of space to linger, cool off, and generally take it's time. There wont be a high pressure ratio across the turbine, so it will move slowly through the turbine, meaning the turbo wont be spooled very fast. The complete opposite is true if you have tight exhaust plumbing and a tight A/R to the turbo.

Because you are going from the cylinder (a big space) through the exhaust ports (a little space) to the exhaust manifold (a big space), you are going from low velocity to high velocity to low velocity again before you even reach the turbo. I believe you are right that there is some momentum in the air coming through the exhaust valves, but I don't believe it would be a significant factor unless you were dealing with a very tight exhaust system where the exhaust manifolds and up pipes aren't acting like a sink.

Where I do think it matters is temperature. if your valve lift duration is shorter, there will be less time for the air to squeeze through the valves and the ports. it will result in more pressure which results in heat. Of course once you get to the exhaust manifold, the heat from compression through the valves = greater pressure than what you would have got from the combustion temperatures alone, which means your P/R over the turbine should be higher.

But, most of us don't want high EGTs, at least not in the cylinder. By opening up the exhaust valve sooner, even before BDC during the combustion stroke, the window to get the air through the exhaust ports is longer, meaning less in-cylinder pressure and temperature. You still get the same airflow over the turbine, and you still have heat from combustion contributing. Hell, that could be the rational for opening the exhaust valve during the combustion stroke; less time for the air to lose heat to the cylinder head, piston, and block.

If that theory is correct, then it means there are two successful methodologies for increasing spool via a change in a cam's exhaust profile. Of course, my ideas could be completely out to lunch. If so, I hope you are willing to explain why so that I may better understand the theory.

Straubtech

Reaction score
Please don't take what I said as an accusation of being a copy cat. Just trying to make a broad comparison in the hopes it would spur discussion about your process. I learn by reading, and then projecting my interpretation of the information to those who know more than me, and seeing what I got right and what I got wrong.

I'm pretty much in agreement with your rational regarding the intake side. I think the key words you used were "for a given RPM range." My understanding of it is that if your RPMs are high enough, the period of time where you are opening the intake ports during the exhaust or compression cycle are small and wont result in a waste of intake air going out the exhaust port or much fighting against the intake stroke. In the same breath, your window for intake isn't very large either, which is why you want an adequate opening for the desired air flow for as much of the intake stroke as possible. Of course, this is half of what results in choppy idle with a high rpm cam.

I can only think of one possible exception to this. My line of thinking is that the piston is effectively lowering the intake manifold pressure temporarily due to less resistance to flow during the intake stroke (and of course sucking out the mass of air). So long as the turbo is supplying air to the intake manifold, would the cylinder still breath in air through the intake port during the compression cycle until the pressure caused by cylinder compression and the pressure produced by the turbo reach a state of equilibrium? In case this explanation of my thoughts is confusing, I'll try an example with very easy numbers. Lets say the intake manifold has .25lbs of air at 40psi. Intake stroke occurs and draws .2lbs of air and a cylinder pressure of 30PSI by BDC. In this time, the turbo has supplied another .2lbs of air to the intake manifold and was able to hold 40PSI Intake Manifold Pressure for the duration of the intake stroke. Wouldn't the cylinder continue to draw air until both the pressure in the cylinder and the pressure in the manifold are both 40PSI? In my mind this is the point where you'd want the intake valve to finally close in order to prevent air being pushed back into the intake manifold by the cylinder.

I understand this is a resistance your engine needs to fight against, but in the same vein more air means more fuel can be burned so you'd get more power. I also understand that this point of equilibrium, if this is in fact how it works, will vary depending on how well your ports flow air, how much air your turbo flows, the resulting pressure ratios, etc. In my mind a setup with a turbo that flows more air and builds more pressure could likely go deeper into the compression stroke than a setup with a smaller turbo that flows less, all other things being equal. You could say the same thing about more restrictive ports, a log style intake manifold vs. just pipes, different cylinder displacements, etc. Of course, most of us won't be able to go through the math to figure out what is just right, nor have the patience/money to keep trying over and over again to get a perfect cam when reality gets in the way of math. I believe this is why most other companies offer various stages of cams, so consumers have an option that will be "close enough."

For the exhaust side of things, I have to disagree with your premise. I think the heat caused by forcing the air through the valves over a shorter period of time is the factor that affects turbo spool, not the velocity of the air through the ports spinning the turbine faster.

At the end of the day, what drives the turbo is the pressure ratio before and after the turbine. The higher the pressure ratio, the faster the turbine spins because there is more force acting on it. What affects the pressure ratio is how much air is moving, the temperature it is at, and the size of your turbine housing A/R. Suppose the engine is moving 50 lbs of air per minute, no matter what (wastegates aside), there is 50lbs per minute of air moving across that turbine wheel. If, before going to the turbine, the air travels through a large diameter pipe, and then a large diameter a/r, it's going to have lots of space to linger, cool off, and generally take it's time. There wont be a high pressure ratio across the turbine, so it will move slowly through the turbine, meaning the turbo wont be spooled very fast. The complete opposite is true if you have tight exhaust plumbing and a tight A/R to the turbo.

Because you are going from the cylinder (a big space) through the exhaust ports (a little space) to the exhaust manifold (a big space), you are going from low velocity to high velocity to low velocity again before you even reach the turbo. I believe you are right that there is some momentum in the air coming through the exhaust valves, but I don't believe it would be a significant factor unless you were dealing with a very tight exhaust system where the exhaust manifolds and up pipes aren't acting like a sink.

Where I do think it matters is temperature. if your valve lift duration is shorter, there will be less time for the air to squeeze through the valves and the ports. it will result in more pressure which results in heat. Of course once you get to the exhaust manifold, the heat from compression through the valves = greater pressure than what you would have got from the combustion temperatures alone, which means your P/R over the turbine should be higher.

But, most of us don't want high EGTs, at least not in the cylinder. By opening up the exhaust valve sooner, even before BDC during the combustion stroke, the window to get the air through the exhaust ports is longer, meaning less in-cylinder pressure and temperature. You still get the same airflow over the turbine, and you still have heat from combustion contributing. Hell, that could be the rational for opening the exhaust valve during the combustion stroke; less time for the air to lose heat to the cylinder head, piston, and block.

If that theory is correct, then it means there are two successful methodologies for increasing spool via a change in a cam's exhaust profile. Of course, my ideas could be completely out to lunch. If so, I hope you are willing to explain why so that I may better understand the theory.

This is good....I'm leaving at noon today but will be in the office tommorrow morning. I will go further then.

nighthawk285

Reaction score
The trick to your theory would be finding the "sweet spot" to open the exhaust valve so that you get hotter air out to the turbo to aid in spool BUT without losing any of the power and power of expansion from the combustion gases pushing down on the piston.

It seems like a valid idea, but for that to work optimally it would seem that you'd need a specific cam profile for different stages of a build. When trying to adjust the mechanical timing that tight, other variables come into effect such as SOI timing, the amount of fuel to be burned, etc....those would all have a little bit of control over where that "sweet spot" would be.

With enough math behind it calculating expansion rates and such, it may be able to be done.

Canadian Mind

Reaction score
The trick to your theory would be finding the "sweet spot" to open the exhaust valve so that you get hotter air out to the turbo to aid in spool BUT without losing any of the power and power of expansion from the combustion gases pushing down on the piston.

It seems like a valid idea, but for that to work optimally it would seem that you'd need a specific cam profile for different stages of a build. When trying to adjust the mechanical timing that tight, other variables come into effect such as SOI timing, the amount of fuel to be burned, etc....those would all have a little bit of control over where that "sweet spot" would be.

With enough math behind it calculating expansion rates and such, it may be able to be done.

You're right. But that's a lot of math. Unless you are into extreme competition, i think it turns into a case of good enough is good enough. So long as the stock deficiencies are addressed and you get one tailored to your desired rpm range, you'll be fine

I just find the theory interesting, this is why i like talking about it.

nighthawk285

Reaction score
^^^Agreed

I keep kicking myself for not doing a cam when I did my studs last year BUT after seeing new ideas/designs/theories that yield new profiles, I'm not so disappointed now lol. I'm keeping an eye on these threads and am very interested in results

Straubtech

Reaction score

Some of you know what DOSS is and some don't. When I went on the college after working in the shop I read everything I could about air compressors. This was under the advisement of John Reed, Reed Cams. John won the GA state science fair at 9 years old with a combustion engine build from wood.

Your comment of calculation is correct. It took nearly 9 months to assemble a program in DOSS to calculate out the needed valve events based on the data input. After 20 years of crunching numbers it takes be about 1.2 hours to figure camshaft lobe area and events.

Straubtech

Reaction score

On the intake side, to much lift is wasted time. In the scheme of things we are trying to trap as much air as we can. If we waste time we loose pressure. Mathmatically we can calculate the amount of lift needed based on demand (CID and RPM and potential fill (intake track cfm). When we know this number it only makes sense that we would want as much average time spent at this lift number to gain max fill. So lets say max fill is at .320" valve lift. We would want lift the valve to around .360" to increase the average time we are at max fill, but keep the lift at a point we are not just wasting time. Years ago I had a customer take .300" of lift, yes 300 thousandths of lift, off a camshaft in a drag race application. There was no power loss but the engine stayed together all season instead of 1 race.

Exhaust side. The pressure diff and valve area for the rpm these engines run one does not need long duration on the exhaust. Once you crack the valve, the velocity created to the low pressure side allows the cylinder to blow down VERY quickly. Before those valves open we are dealing with 1000's of pounds of pressure in the cylinder. Think about a balloon. You blow one up and then put a small tube in the inlet and then release it...it blows down very quickly.

I disagree with you on the shorter time will increase heat. Weather gas or diesel and all that have tried these cams and my Duramax and Cummins stuff all report cooler EGTs. The Duramax cam profile is 12 degrees smaller on the exhaust duration at .050" then the intake and our temps are 300 to 350 degree cooler then with the old SoCal cam that had 15 degrees more duration.

Straubtech

Reaction score
Should have some more testing in the near future. Looking forward to meeting everyone at Rudy's.

Latest posts

Members online