Can I swap two injectors?

sidneybeanz

Reaction score
1996 F-350 7.3 4x4
I have a hard misfire at idle and under load and a hard start and lots of fuel smoke coming out of the tailpipe. I did a cylinder contribution test and it showed a fault on cylinder 1. When I pulled the injector I found the end is fouled and I couldn’t see any of the orifices. The oil return on that injector spits the same as all the others. When I unplugged that injector and let the engine idle, the smoke continued. I think that injector is not spraying properly.

Can I swap injectors 1 and 3 to see if the problem follows the injector? My brother said on his DS there is something specific to one of the injectors that won’t allow you to swap it but couldn’t remember which one and didn’t know if it’s the same for mine. Is #1 safe to swap?

Reaction score
The different injector (long lead type) was a Super Duty specific thing to address the infamous "cackle" problem. It does not apply to your 96. You can swap the injectors. Don't forget to remove the fuel and oil that will drain into the cylinders before restarting! You don't want to hydrolock the motor. Cheers!