Carb monkey needs help with 6.0?!

wrwarnerhall

Reaction score
Boy oh boy, what did I do?! Finally got into the diesel world and am having issues that are driving me nuts. Come from a gasser v8 world (mostly Chevy) did a bunch of research (apparently not enough) and bought a 03 f350 lariat crew with a 6.0 168k when bought. Head studs, egr delete, 5in exhaust, cat delete, sct flash tuner. First issue came along at about 172k when I fired it up and drove two blocks where it died and would hardly fire but not go anywhere. I replaced the fuel filters and was suspicious of the fuel pump but because of my suspicion I sent it to the local Ford dealer where they found out one cylinder was hydolocked with fuel due to bad injector seals... They replaced 4 injectors because of carbon build up on the injectors. Long story short it was expensive. Got it back and shortly after it starts revving up randomly mostly when the motor is cooled off. Do some research ICP sensor seems to be obvious issue. Unable to find time to do icp I take it to Ford request and oil change and ICP sensor replacement. Oops. Dealer tried to diagnose issue couldn't get the pickup act up, plugs into computer finds codes on injectors, flashes computer for software update. Found out it has an egr delete and no cat... Turbo won't learn itself. They are lost and I am now upset. Some how they found a work around they think and it's running amazing! So I come pick it up pay for just the oil change drive off with less power (no tune now) and its still got the bad icp symptoms.... So I get home and try to reflash my computer now with no luck.. sct flash tuner is throwing me codes unable to program the tow tune back on. So obviously I am going to need to put on a icp sensor myself and get a new tune. Can someone point me in the right direction? New to all this! Hanging parts I can do.... Automotive computer stuff I am new to.

Last edited:

Derkperk

Reaction score
Sounds like they changed the strategy when they reflashed it. You'll have to get new tunes written for it. Figure out what's causing the other issues before retuning.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
and find a good independent shop

6.0's are out of date. All the good dealer techs from that era own their own shops now.

Reaction score
Was the truck flashed back to stock with the SCT before Ford flashed it? If not, it will need to go to SCT to be unlocked before it will tune the truck again. ICP isn't too bad to change if you pull the turbo. Can be done without pulling the charger but it takes some practice.

Irontx

Reaction score
If they flashed your pcm.... without you pulling your tune out... like Luke said.... you ain't programming nothing till you send your SCT off....
Stealership got one chance to do that to me..... 2 weeks stock.... I'm still mad at them. Was they last penny they ever got for service. LOL

wrwarnerhall

Reaction score
Any help here about this runabiliyy issue? I replaced the icp sencer and it still runs like the video I posted above. Help please!

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
Purchase AE so you can diagnose and fix it yourself.

There are ALOT of smart experienced people here that will help but you need to know what the PCM is seeing to fix it correctly.

Don't just throw parts at it.

Irontx

Reaction score
Any direction on what parameters to look at first?

Yes...

Look at ICP volts.
ICP pressure.
IPR duty cycle.
FICM power.... should be around 48v.
FICM SYNC.

just to start off with....

If it's not starting... look at everything while cranking. Look at IPR duty cycle.... let us know if it's pegged at 85%

Last edited:

wrwarnerhall

Reaction score
6e1d422c23e7ad5e31ea364bc150461a.jpg

wrwarnerhall

Reaction score
Sorry about the double above. We went on a drive today and around the time the issue started we lost the feed and everything was reading zero. We are going to try and pull data from what was recorded before we lost the feed but we are not sure what's going on. I'll know more tomorrow. For now tho, these are the codes.

Last edited:

BcrazyTH

Reaction score
Hey guys I am helping Bill with his 6.0. As he said above we took his pick-up out after work with AE hooked up. This was only my third time operating AE and first time I was actually trying to use it to aid in troubleshooting.

I monitored:
Engine RPM
ICP Volts
ICP PSI
IPR %
FICM Volts
FICM Synced Logic
Engine Oil Temp
Accelerator pedal input

I accidentally overwrote the datalog file. I stopped recording and then restarted it thus erasing the datalog that contained the event. I have learned my lesson with that. I have a question about sample rates for these sensors. I noticed on a data log that the time stamp was about once every second. This seems a little slow to me. I read in the manual that this is adjustable. Can anyone recommend a good sample rate for these?

From riding in the pick-up and witnessing this happen it reminded me of when my 7.3L CPS was dropping out and my RPMs would suddenly drop then come back like hitting a governor. Only Bill's 6.0 is much less violent and almost rhythmic, I was surprised at the duration that this acted up for. It went on for a fairly long time.

Just out of curiosity how do these 6.0s keep track of crank and cam postion? Are those fairly reliable sensors?

Thanks for the help

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.