Castastrophic oil cooler ruptured!!? and egr cooler

junglejoe

Reaction score
Yea the thermostat housing is kind of a pain to get off. The most forward fuel line needs to be undone to get a socket onto the rear of the 2 1/2" bolts(if I remember correctly that is their size). I was able to remove mine without taking out the air box or intercooler pipe on the driver side. DO NOT remove the oring gasket from the housing. Doing so will cause it to stretch terribly and it will not insert properly going back in and will leak from there when up to temp.

Once you get the thermo/housing out your going to depress the thermostat spring and pry/slide the bottom portion out of the slots on the actual housing. It looks at first as it is one solid unit but they do come apart. Once that is removed you can reinstall the housing to the block.
Thanks for the tip! I got the thermostat housing off, and was like wth is this!!? I couldn't get it apart, so I broke it apart. Doing this for the flush anyway. I bought a new one anyway because my truck would stay around 160-175 over the winter, sometimes it got to 180 so I figured the thermostat was stuck open. Actually it wasn't to my surprise when I got it out.. but Ill use the new one anyway

junglejoe

Reaction score
Well, I got a lot done on the truck yesterday. I had to take the turbo off about 3 times because I got ahead of myself. On the BPD Remote kit, which has good instructions, (that I didn't read) the hoses that mount on the plate are HUGE and have HUGE bolts. They are 1 5/16 I think it is. But You have to tighten those bolts on the ends of the two hoses BEFORE the turbo goes on because there is just no room. So finally got that done.

Then the turbo drain tube didn't look right to me, so I took it back off again. I'm glad I did because there probably would have been a huge leak! It wasn't in the engine very far. I got another 1/4 inch or so more.

Then another time I was tightening the drivers side bolts down and didn't realize that the passenger side mount in the very back wasn't sitting all the way down on the pedestal. Soo, again, took it off to get it lined up. Got it all situated, then the freakin back ban clamp snapped as I was tightening it down on the up pipe! *&^%ro ^@#%#*(^#^!!!! THAT was a $35 mistake and ford only had one in stock! THIEVES!!

SO, All day on it yesterday, today it will fire up I hope! By the way, heard a bunch of Harleys out yesterday, started to say hell with this truck and get on one of mine!!, BUT, priorities said continue on! Hahahaa

Attachments

• truck3.jpg
    truck3.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 45
  • truck1.jpg
    truck1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 53
  • truck4.jpg
    truck4.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 42
  • (())((((((.jpg
    (())((((((.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 45
  • truck5.jpg
    truck5.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

03_PSD

Reaction score
You've made lots of progress. I know you can't wait to get it fired up and start the cleansing process.

junglejoe

Reaction score
GOOD NEWS!! It's done! Once the oil pressure built up it fired right up. So far so good!

When I was cranking it over to build oil pressure.. had a.leak at the base of the oil filter housing. Took the 4 bolts loose and basically just barely moved it around , tightened it back down and seems to be good. There must not be much room on installing that? I suppose it has to be perfect, but sure didn't think it would have leaked like that!!?

Overall, it's not to bad to install this kit. Is is expensive though! Buy the COMPLETE kit if you decide to go this rough unless you want to be parts chasing for the little stuff like the vacume ball and bolts and vacume line. PLUS you cannot install the baseplate on the engine unless you have the oil cooler gasket. I got the oil cooler from somewhere else for cheaper.. if I had it to do over, I would have just got the complete kit.

On the flushing part of the coolant system, I bought a quart of that vc9 or whatever it is from Ford and distilled water. Took the thermostat out and ran the truck around the block several times and down the road. Pulled back in the driveway, let it cool off some and pulled the block drain plug out and drained it.THAT CHIT WAS HOT!!! SO BE CAREFUL!!! Then put straight distilled water in. Repeat the process. THEN pulled the heater hose off, drain plug on the radiator and the block drain, and ran the water hose through everything. Then dumped 3 or 4 gallons of distilled water through it again, with truck running. After that, put the new thermostat in and filled it with peak 50/50 mix antifreeze (cat1 approved!) I went over kill on the flush bit I had the oil cooler rupture and that was disastrous!

Attachments

• 20160220_154556.jpg
    20160220_154556.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 20160220_154619.jpg
    20160220_154619.jpg
    960.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20160220_173648.jpg
    20160220_173648.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

junglejoe

Reaction score
Welp... what had happened was... POP! Gota headgasket going now!! UGH!! HOWEVER.. it was my own stupidity. As far as the bullet proof remote mount oil cooler, it does what it is suppose to do, so that's good! Oil and coolant temps are exactly where they are suppose to be, around 5-7 now.

I was so happy I got it running, I held my right foot down just a little to long and I have the SCT Livewire on the "street tune".. now it pukes coolant out the degas bottle under boost.

That's ok, Studds and o-ring heads are in the very near future then it will be "bullet proofed"

halltrash

Reaction score
Anyone on here use that remote mount oil cooler kit? I think now would be the time to install it versus tearing the engine apart again.. Because I'm sure the oil cooler will clog up again

when i had my 05 60 when my 5th oil cooler went bad i did a egr delite and put on BPD remote oil cooler had no more problems with head gasket`s or oil cooler oil temps. where much lower the system holds more oil filter it uses is cheaper than ford filter

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Welp... what had happened was... POP! Gota headgasket going now!! UGH!! HOWEVER.. it was my own stupidity. As far as the bullet proof remote mount oil cooler, it does what it is suppose to do, so that's good! Oil and coolant temps are exactly where they are suppose to be, around 5-7 now.

I was so happy I got it running, I held my right foot down just a little to long and I have the SCT Livewire on the "street tune".. now it pukes coolant out the degas bottle under boost.

That's ok, Studds and o-ring heads are in the very near future then it will be "bullet proofed"

This is pretty common, even stock. I always recommend doing it all at once as it saves the customer from having to pay to have iat pulled apart twice.

Make sure you take a good look at your lifters when the heads are off, see if you can figure out where that piece came from. Possibly pull the low pressure oil pump out too and make sure yhe front cover aint ***ked. At least forpiece of mind.

junglejoe

Reaction score
Yes, the BPD remote mount does hold more oil, so don't for get to add some if anyone does this, it's mainly the hoses that take up the space.

I DEFIANTLY will be having a look at the lifters! Those pieces of metal came from somewhere, that or it was pieces of the actual oil cooler. I'm not doing the studs , I have no way to take the cab off or I would be doing it. Taking it to Cutting Edge Diesel more than likely.

Latest posts

Members online