Cetane Rating

Atsah

Reaction score
I use to dump a whole bottle in once in while and she ran so smooooooth...

TyCorr

Reaction score
I would dump the whole bottle in and then after about three top ups it was time for a new'n.

Additives were the best and worst thing I ever dabbled in. They helped some issues while my equipment transitioned from hsd->lsd->ulsd/b5-10-20 but since I replaced everything affected they were masking my fuels to the point I didnt know what was what.

If you have the patience you can see what fuels are best by filling up as empty as possible and running it back down the same. I figured out many places sell **** fuel. I even discovered water in one places tank. (how fun that was...)

08RED4x4

Reaction score
I like the power service stuff, truck seems to run smoother. The ford additive didnt seem to have any effect. Just my 2 pennies

NY_Mott

Reaction score
After reading this thread I have several questions for you gentlemen.

I can get Amsoil at good price and have been trying to find out which oil weight to use and all the other important info. So after reading this I looked into the cetane booster offered by Amsoil. Thinking I will order it at same time as oil.

Does anyone use this or have any advice on it?
I looked on the site
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/fuel-additives/diesel/diesel-cetane-boost/

and found 5 gallons will run me less then $250 and last about 40k miles. that's using
6oz's for every tank. which works out to less then $2.30 a fill up. (that's about retail price, not with my discount )

Is this worth it?

Also a friend of mine ( dodge owner ) who also knows a lot of diesel guys says its good and also safe to run 2cycle oil in the truck to lubricate the fuel system.
Now I am not sure which type 2cycle oil ( I forgot ) but is this something you guys are doing or heard of?
I would think if you added the Amsoil cetane booster it would do the same thing as the 2 cycle oil while increasing cetane levels, Correct?

Last edited:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
After reading this thread I have several questions for you gentlemen.

I can get Amsoil at good price and have been trying to find out which oil weight to use and all the other important info. So after reading this I looked into the cetane booster offered by Amsoil. Thinking I will order it at same time as oil.

Does anyone use this or have any advice on it?
I looked on the site
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/fuel-additives/diesel/diesel-cetane-boost/

and found 5 gallons will run me less then $250 and last about 40k miles. that's using
6oz's for every tank. which works out to less then $2.30 a fill up. (that's about retail price, not with my discount )

Is this worth it?

Also a friend of mine ( dodge owner ) who also knows a lot of diesel guys says its good and also safe to run 2cycle oil in the truck to lubricate the fuel system.
Now I am not sure which type 2cycle oil ( I forgot ) but is this something you guys are doing or heard of?
I would think if you added the Amsoil cetane booster it would do the same thing as the 2 cycle oil while increasing cetane levels, Correct?

Dont run 2 cycle oil in the 6.4 the 6.4 common rail fuel system is very sensitive to its fuel. The most i'll do is run a additive (don't know of anybody that ran 2 cycle in a 6.4). I used to run 2 cycle oil in my other 7.3 I had in the past because it has a HEUI (Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injector) fuel system its more robust per say. and doesn't like the newer fuels not oily enough in my 1999 I have now i only run a additive. I know the (1998.5-2002) 24V has the VP 44 Injection Pump and is a robust fuel system like the 7.3. Does anybody has any input on putting 2 cycle in the 6.4? (I wouldn't though but everybody has there own opinions)

Amsoil makes some great products I bet ya its better than the diesel kleen.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Dont run 2 cycle oil in the 6.4 the 6.4 common rail fuel system is very sensitive to its fuel. The most i'll do is run a additive (don't know of anybody that ran 2 cycle in a 6.4). I used to run 2 cycle oil in my other 7.3 I had in the past because it has a HEUI (Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injector) fuel system its more robust per say. and doesn't like the newer fuels not oily enough in my 1999 I have now i only run a additive. I know the (1998.5-2002) 24V has the VP 44 Injection Pump and is a robust fuel system like the 7.3. Does anybody has any input on putting 2 cycle in the 6.4? (I wouldn't though but everybody has there own opinions)

Amsoil makes some great products I bet ya its better than the diesel kleen.

Thanks for the heads up. I new it was better to ask on here!!!
Will be ordering some here soon.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I have never like amsoil fuel treatments. They never seem to work as advertised. There fuel cleaner is JUNK compared to even seafoam. We have tested them back to back side by side. The amsoil was almost the worst cleaner we tested. It really to be honest did not do a thing. As for seafoam it worked. BUT not as good as the Conklin cleaner did. The three best fuel system cleaners I have tested to date would be the Conklin, Seafoam, Power service . In that order to. I have not tested the Ford or the Rev-X to see how it compared to the others for cleaning yet. Any additive that will clean and keep your fuel system cleaner and ups the cetane number should work good. Some just do not work like advertised.

The testing we did was in the "lab" testing the cleaners.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Stanadyne is good. They build fuel injection components.

Im sorry but I dont like, find value, or otherwise find it of good conscience to recommend amsoil. Or royal purple for that matter. Although I did change the diff fluid in my superduty with rp and it worked well. As far as engine and fuel system lube and additive, no thanks.

But, hey, do what ya want.

Reaction score
Amsoil, shaffers, royal purple = good way to waste your hard earned money. Just my hard learned opinion.

Ford cetane boost is good. Don't put a bunch of other sh*t in you fuel. All the other stuff does is add sh*t you don't need. Up the cetane and let good old #2 do the rest. Personally I don't run anything but #2 in my trucks and never have a problem. But I use good quality fuel stations.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score

Im sorry but I dont like, find value, or otherwise find it of good conscience to recommend amsoil. Or royal purple for that matter. Although I did change the diff fluid in my superduty with rp and it worked well. As far as engine and fuel system lube and additive, no thanks.

I could not agree more with you. I had a guy try to get me set up as a Amsoil dealer and I said NO Thanks!!

I have never tested the Stanadybe yet. That should be another one to test. I have been told buy guys it is good but I have never run it through the "paces" yet. I should do that sometime.

Another one I have not been impressed with was Lucas. Some thing it might be OK, But as a fuel treatment I have not been impressed. I know guys that would swear by it. Just have not in my personal test found it to be great. It to me is not worth the price.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score

Amsoil, shaffers, royal purple = good way to waste your hard earned money. Just my hard learned opinion.

Ford cetane boost is good. Don't put a bunch of other sh*t in you fuel. All the other stuff does is add sh*t you don't need. Up the cetane and let good old #2 do the rest. Personally I don't run anything but #2 in my trucks and never have a problem. But I use good quality fuel stations.

I could not agree more with you. I had a guy try to get me set up as a Amsoil dealer and I said NO Thanks!!

I have never tested the Stanadybe yet. That should be another one to test. I have been told buy guys it is good but I have never run it through the "paces" yet. I should do that sometime.

Another one I have not been impressed with was Lucas. Some thing it might be OK, But as a fuel treatment I have not been impressed. I know guys that would swear by it. Just have not in my personal test found it to be great. It to me is not worth the price.

To me the Ford Cetane Booster is the best. Does anybody know who produces it for ford?

TyCorr

Reaction score
The ford cetane boost is so good that a Mobil oil salesman driving a duramax had a garage full of it when we did work at his house. That is saying something. They had to develop a good product when they were trying to keep 6L owners happy.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
I have never like amsoil fuel treatments. They never seem to work as advertised. There fuel cleaner is JUNK compared to even seafoam. We have tested them back to back side by side. The amsoil was almost the worst cleaner we tested. It really to be honest did not do a thing. As for seafoam it worked. BUT not as good as the Conklin cleaner did. The three best fuel system cleaners I have tested to date would be the Conklin, Seafoam, Power service . In that order to. I have not tested the Ford or the Rev-X to see how it compared to the others for cleaning yet. Any additive that will clean and keep your fuel system cleaner and ups the cetane number should work good. Some just do not work like advertised.

The testing we did was in the "lab" testing the cleaners.

Thanks for the info, I do not really understand why Amsoil is not worth it but hey it is what it is. I looked at the Conklin stuff and ummm WOW $$$.
Little to pricey for every tank use IMO, although I am sure its great.
Can you tell me more about why you feel sea foam is #2.?
I think sea foam would be my next go to due to discount at work.

Will still be checking on Monday to see about Conklin and if I can get a deal but if not I guess its Sea Foam.
I just want to take care of her the best I can, and if adding something every tank will help a little its a plus for me.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I do not really understand why Amsoil is not worth it but hey it is what it is. I looked at the Conklin stuff and ummm WOW $$$.
Little to pricey for every tank use IMO, although I am sure its great.
Can you tell me more about why you feel sea foam is #2.?
I think sea foam would be my next go to due to discount at work.

Will still be checking on Monday to see about Conklin and if I can get a deal but if not I guess its Sea Foam.
I just want to take care of her the best I can, and if adding something every tank will help a little its a plus for me.

Yes Conklin is very expensive. I would personally not run it in every tank. I would use it for TOPS of two tanks Just to clean the fuel system, Then switch to a product the is made to keep your fuel system clean PLUS ad cetane at the same time. I clean injection system imho is the besy place to start to get the best economy and reliability you can. Then from there keep it clean but add cetane at the same time.

I have been told the FORD cetane boost -cleaner and Rev-X cetane-cleaner are some of the best. I just have not tested them yet. I would say they would be good. After all the in-cress the Cetane number of the fuel. BUT i do not know about the cleaner end of it.

The seafoam cam in as number two as a fuel system cleaner. I would only use it if i wanted to clean my injection system. Other then that I would only use the stuff that has a cetane boost. You could start out by using the injection system cleaner then switch to a cetane improver that can also clean.

Powerservice had for the most part has always worked for me. There are some people that hat the stuff and others that love it. Again it has always worked for me. BUT that was with stock Injectors. I am not sure now how good it is working with these 300/200 injectors. I have not been able to test it yet in the summer. In the winter I am only getting 15 to 16 depending on how long i let it idle. Pulling about 10,000 I was getting 11 to 11.7 .. This was all in the winter. Come summer I hope to have some better test of real world driving tests.

The cleaner i can test on the bench. BUT cannot test the MPG gains on the bench. And winter is not a good time for that.

I will be running a good cleaner then trying Fords fuel additive, Rev-X fuel additive, Stanadine fuel additive, Powerservice fuel additive, I might even see what conklins and seafoam cleaners do for MPG gains. But the test will be centered on teh fuel additives that claim a boost cetane numbers. We will see for better or for worth.

Another thing to keep in mind, what works good in my 7.3 might not work good in your 6.4 or in a 6.0. I have even seen 7.3 that do not respond the same to the same fuel additive.

I hope this help your question.

On a side note I plan to start carrying Conklin fuel cleaners and additives.

TyCorr

Reaction score
7.3s dont care. Bottom line. I have yet to see a mileage increase from an additive. Id bet the house there were NOT any hp increases. The ford stuff(i added a bottle of it) made the truck run better. Smoother idle and quieter injection.

The sad thing is bio quieted everything more than any additive.

Im not sure how any of it really matters after you start throwing injectors with larger nozzlez in the equation. Probably those people have upgraded filtration and increased awareness of maintenance. Maybe a heavy dose of something once in a while to keep spray patterns optimum.

Im sticking with fs and their additives. Which are put in before the consumer. They(the fuel guy that was there for questions one day) told me I do NOT need anything in addition to their.fuel. They put sureflo in the tank during winter to prevent gelling down to -60(which we'll never see) and they have what they call dieselex gold which is a stable diesel fuel containing additive that guarantees cetane number above 50. The station I use boasts a 54 cetane rating. Thats pretty hard to beat.

Ive vowed to use good fuel, screw the additives.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I stopped using additives and I keep, and always have kept, fuel mileage logs. I run the tank down as far.as possible. I have put 36 gal in my truck a couple times. Which according to the internet is impossible because my ccsb only has a 28 gal tank or whatever. That aside, my fuel mileage was best at two different locations. Like drastically different. Ironically they are both cheaper than most other places. I use fs mostly because it is literally in my.backyard. So the convenience got me using it more and more and then I talked to their "guy" this.fall before harvest got under way and he explained their fuel and philosophy on making the.best fuel. You cant really beat that level of involvement. I havent seen diesel over 3.99 there in two years. Its 3.49 now and was 3.79 from march until nov.

Just look around. If you are throwing five to ten gallons in here or there you wont ever find or realize the.difference. Start making mental notes of your mileage depending on where you get fuel. For me it was obvious, go to shell get 400miles per tank. Go to bp get 265. Bp is out.

Good luck and let us know.wha you find.

Latest posts

Members online