cknox121's slow build

Reaction score
I'd do hd valve springs/push rods, and stage one camshaft that will help with backpressure...also i'd buy a 72mm turbo instead of a 71 unless you already have the 71, you can buy the camshaft, and hd valve springs amd push rods for the same price as a wastegate kit, probably less!

A 71 or 72 will not change backpressure. They all use the same turbine side. The only one that would help would be the 75 RCD because of the larger turbine. Definitely need springs and pushrods. Wastegate would definitely be a good investment.

sootie

Reaction score
Thanks.

Question for everyone. Have been thinking about leaving stock springs and push rods... Yes I know, against the norm. But, wouldn't a waste gate prevent large EBP, resulting in less chance to float a valve? Don't the exhaust valves float before the intake valves?

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

exhaust valves float from high back pressure. intake valves float from over revving.

for the small price you pay, its worth it to do springs and pushrods.

Cknox121

Reaction score
I'd do hd valve springs/push rods, and stage one camshaft that will help with backpressure...also i'd buy a 72mm turbo instead of a 71 unless you already have the 71, you can buy the camshaft, and hd valve springs amd push rods for the same price as a wastegate kit, probably less!

Probably not going to do a cam. Maybe if I was still running a single. I already had a 71mm I had purchased from a member on here. highest I have gotten EGT's on it was around 1350 degrees

A 71 or 72 will not change backpressure. They all use the same turbine side. The only one that would help would be the 75 RCD because of the larger turbine. Definitely need springs and pushrods. Wastegate would definitely be a good investment.

good info

exhaust valves float from high back pressure. intake valves float from over revving.

for the small price you pay, its worth it to do springs and pushrods.

I was just thinking out side the box as far as the waste gate went...

RSK

Reaction score

I understood that, but 72 will be forcing more air maybe make a little more power, but wouldn't stage 1 camshaft get rid of back pressure issues?

RSK

Reaction score
Probably not going to do a cam. Maybe if I was still running a single. I already had a 71mm I had purchased from a member on here. highest I have gotten EGT's on it was around 1350 degrees

good info

I was just thinking out side the box as far as the waste gate went...

Oh good deal then! What tune and how long did u have to stay into it to hit 1350?

Will@Rudy'sDiesel

Reaction score
I believe right around 40K before it was deleted. I may do them.

Not yet. Trying to find a machine shop that I would trust to do the block and heads.

No plans past stock fuel and just upgraded atmosphere turbo, maybe a waste gate to keep EBP in check.

Block should be out Wednesday night. Trying to find a buddy with a cherry picker to pull engine.

Why don't you call Josh? I'm pretty sure last time I was at his place he had one, better yet just call Jen and tell her you are going to borrow it or make Houston go get it.

Reaction score
I understood that, but 72 will be forcing more air maybe make a little more power, but wouldn't stage 1 camshaft get rid of back pressure issues?

Nope, cams open the exhaust valve sooner thur driving a turbo harder. It will spool quicker and spool larger turbos easier. But they also make for more back pressure with the higher velocity exhaust.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Oh good deal then! What tune and how long did u have to stay into it to hit 1350?

Street on h&s amd that's holding till about 110 they started climbing quick around 90

Why don't you call Josh? I'm pretty sure last time I was at his place he had one, better yet just call Jen and tell her you are going to borrow it or make Houston go get it.

Houston's to far up my sisters azz lol. My uncle had one

Tonight's progress

a8ymypaj.jpg
6yvehesa.jpg
a7uda6y2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RSK

Reaction score
I had the start of 2 cracked pistons. Caught them just in time if you ask me. Cracks starts on bowl lip, on cylinder 1&2

Thanks!

what did you notice when it was running that made you think it had a cracked piston?

Cknox121

Reaction score
what did you notice when it was running that made you think it had a cracked piston?

Nothing. So signs at all. They aren't cracked all the way through. This all started because of a blown bellow on cross over pipe, then went to ah what the hell, might as well stud it to ah ****, that pistons cracked. Yank the motor!

RSK

Reaction score
Nothing. So signs at all. They aren't cracked all the way through. This all started because of a blown bellow on cross over pipe, then went to ah what the hell, might as well stud it to ah ****, that pistons cracked. Yank the motor!

oh fun!

Latest posts

Members online