Cleaning Lifters

caladash

Reaction score
Im getting ready to swap out my PMR motor for a forged rod motor due to a bad lifter. So I decided to take one apart from my forged rod motor and it had some nasty oil and crud in there. I in no way have money for new ones! So I took 2 more apart and cleaned them with some brake clean and reassembled. I see where the oil goes in them but should i put some oil in when I reassemble them?

Blowby

Reaction score
Spend the money if you can on new ones.

Soak them in a container full of clean oil first before installing them in your build.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Less than $150 for a complete set. Hate to see another lifter go bad and wipe your new engine.
If you're dead set on re-using them I'd soak them in kerosene for a day or so, and then fresh oil before re-installing.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Yup... OEM is about $24 a piece...

Rock Auto has non OEM for $7-$12 a piece but...

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Ford 6.0/7.3/7.3/6.9 and GM 6.5/6.2/5.7 all use the same lifter.
I've had good luck with Clevite.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
I would replace them but you can take them apart. I like to put lifters in dry. Doesn't really matter on a 7.3 but on something like sbc with a adjustable hydraulic setup having the lifters dry makes setting the lash much nicer.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Whats the part number your using for the oem ones?

When I've bought then for 6 0's they come in sets of four with the cage... If they truly are the same as 6.0 I'd use them. Let me check my end

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
3c3z6500aa. Part number is the same for 7 3/6 0.

Yea the dealer is showing them at $36/ea... Man I dont remember them being that high... I must have been reading a bill Wrong...

caladash

Reaction score
Concur...3C3Z6500AA. Riff Raff has them for 24 bucks a piece. Gonna take them all apart, brake clean them, reassemble then soak in oil before reinstalling. This build sure is kicking my wallets a$$!!

Latest posts

Members online