Cold start question

Boosted6.4

Reaction score
In Chicago, this coming Monday is supposed to be a high of -10. My truck sits outside from 7:45 to 3PM without being plugged in (asked the deans for an extension cord, they didn't understand hahaha). My question is, will my truck start after sitting out for that long? I plan on plugging in the night before for my 10 minute ride to school but I'm more worried about my return trip. Truck will be full of diesel with DieselKleen in it. Any suggestions or tips on what to do? It's my first diesel!! Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atsah

Reaction score
I don't see why it wouldn't start.. If you can keep it out of the wind that helps but if everything is working properly and you have the anti-gel in it, it should be good..

These temps have been crazy this last month, -20F this morning and it never got over -5F today.. :doh:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
What school you at?

And for ****s I start 6.4's in below 30 without cycling glow plugs. They fire right up just like a duramax

RSK

Reaction score
wow good to know these 6.4's start down at -20 so well. hopefully my 7.3 does good, i'm gonna plug it in for the first time tonight.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
I don't see why it wouldn't start.. If you can keep it out of the wind that helps but if everything is working properly and you have the anti-gel in it, it should be good..

These temps have been crazy this last month, -20F this morning and it never got over -5F today.. :doh:

Wind chill doesn't affect trucks.

It will beat the temperature out of it quicker once it's warm, but after ~8 hours at that temperature, it's not going to matter.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
As I said. It will cool the vehicle FASTER from temperatures above ambient, but once it gets to the outside ambient temperature, it stays there. Once it reaches that temperature it won't get colder than ambient due to the wind.

There's a pile of articles on this topic online.

And at that temperature, it's gonna reach ambient pretty quick, regardless of the wind.

Atsah

Reaction score
When I had my 6.0's if it was -10 and no wind the truck would start hard and run rough for a 30 seconds or so, if the wind was blowing and the wind chill was 40 below, it would not start period.. I have learned that keeping vehicles, tractors etc out of the wind does help some..

Atsah

Reaction score
As I said. It will cool the vehicle FASTER from temperatures above ambient, but once it gets to the outside ambient temperature, it stays there. Once it reaches that temperature it won't get colder than ambient due to the wind.

There's a pile of articles on this topic online.

And at that temperature, it's gonna reach ambient pretty quick, regardless of the wind.

Yes I agree that it doesn't drop below whatever temp it might be but wind does have an effect for some reason..

Troublemaker

Reaction score
Their fine I live in Canada and mine is hardly plugged in. The coldest its started read off the spartan was -2 oil, -6 coolant. She fired up, no it took a while before I drove it because I am anal about moving it if coolant and/or oil are bellow 100

mclean

Reaction score
-41F here right now and mine fired up no problem with it plugged in. I left it for a couple days not plugged in last week when it was -45ish and it would fire up but plugged it in for a couple hours and it fired up right away

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.