Cold weather oil

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Most of the time I run either synthetic or blend in 00 7.3. This past time I just went with reg 20w/50. It's gonna be very cold in Lima OH this week and was wondering if I should use an oil additive? I'm using stantadyne in my fuelalong with a
Automatic tranny fluid.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Yep, running 5w40 synthetic would be best, plugging it in would be the next best option.

Never put additives in the oil, especially on a 7.3L. Just asking for problems.

Not sure why you would go with 20w50 in NC. In fact, I don't even think that's on Ford's SAE recommended viscosity grade reference card.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Yup.... a good synthetic 5/40 or 15/40 would be your best bet. I switched from Motorcraft to Amsoil.... huge difference on cold starts.

Just thought I'd add, it was in the single digits here this morning, and frigid, I let the glow plugs run for about 30-40 seconds this morning, and the truck cranked right over, no lope, nothing abnormal except maybe a tad loud. (Cold injectors.) Truck was not plugged in, either.

Last edited:

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I'm in Lima Ohio. Been down below 0 and pretty cold next week. Im going to put it in the shop and have block heater fixed. I'll have synthetic put back in it. I noticed last night when I was leaving work a red light came on that said oil with a thermometer. First time I've ever saw that

patricku47

Reaction score
I just switched from Amsoil with Archoil 9100 to 5w40 Lubrication Engineers synthetic without any additives. My cold starts are noticeably better and it seems to run quieter. Obviously my cold and your cold are totally different, but it may be worth looking into.

jaybuller

Reaction score
15w40 delo works good for me not plugged in parked outside no problems ever even down below 0

NC714

Reaction score
I don't live too far from Pilot Mountain.

I like to run 5W-40 Synthetic in mine year round. I have never had issue's, even when running conventional 15W-40.

I would not put an additive in your oil.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Ok! Sunny side in Fancy Gap is where I like to go buy my work clothes. Outside of that I must have a glo plug issue. This afternoon the temp was up in the 30's. I let the wait to start light go off and it wouldn't start. Turned the key back let it cycle and it fired up and idled good. No smoke. Wonder if that pcm/Ecm I put in had anything to do with it?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
15w40 delo works good for me not plugged in parked outside no problems ever even down below 0
who gave you that idea?
Yup.... a good synthetic 5/40 or 15/40 would be your best bet. I switched from Motorcraft to Amsoil.... huge difference on cold starts.

Just thought I'd add, it was in the single digits here this morning, and frigid, I let the glow plugs run for about 30-40 seconds this morning, and the truck cranked right over, no lope, nothing abnormal except maybe a tad loud. (Cold injectors.) Truck was not plugged in, either.
i had the same results with delo 15/40 and amsoil 15/40... in all aspects...

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Arisley

Reaction score
Ok! Sunny side in Fancy Gap is where I like to go buy my work clothes. Outside of that I must have a glo plug issue. This afternoon the temp was up in the 30's. I let the wait to start light go off and it wouldn't start. Turned the key back let it cycle and it fired up and idled good. No smoke. Wonder if that pcm/Ecm I put in had anything to do with it?

Just because the light goes out, does not mean that the glow plugs are on or off. Watch you volt meter, you will see it jump up when the glow plugs turn off. They can stay on for up to two minutes.

I have a LED wired to the glow plug side of the relay. As long as the relay is energized, the LED is on. It also lets me know instantly if I have a relay issue.

mandkole

Reaction score
^^ whs

In most cases, when oil is that cold, the GPs will stay on for upwards of 90-120 seconds--well after the WTS light turns off. Cycling the key just gave the GPs another shot of power.

Demon

Reaction score
I run 0w40 or 5w40 year Round in all my diesels. We get down to -40 in winters. And they're fine for summer duty too.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I've been running the Delo per Lincoln and it sucks monkey balls. Lol! Just joking. No complaints so far. I was thinking about trying the synthetic Delo 5w40 at under $20 bucks a pop but they only had 3 on the shelf at Wally World. Anyone run this stuff yet?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

psduser1

Reaction score
I've been running Schaeffers 7000, in all my equipment, as well as trucks.
Obviously, plugged in the trucks start easier, but fired all three off in single digits and below with no problems. The ex will lope about 3 times of its below 25*, but all smooth after that.
15/40 year round.
I'm sure a 5 or 0w would be easier to start, but I don't really care. This works.

Latest posts

Members online