Column Shifter Slop

David N

Reaction score
How do you tighten everything up? You can move my shifter way more than it is supposed to up and down when it is in gear. I've heard people talk about something that can be replaced to fix this slop. What is it? Any information is appreciated and part #'s would be awesome too! Thanks.

Arisley

Reaction score
Look under the column. While moving the shifter lever around you will see where it attaches. It attaches with two torx head bolts. They like to back out. Remove them, place a dab of blue loktite on them and replace them. Problem solved.

David N

Reaction score
Ive tightened them before though. You think they've backed out again? I've read that stuff could be worn out? and needed to be replaced?

Arisley

Reaction score
Possible, I would check those bolts though. If they are loose, use blue Loktite. Don't use red, it would not be good to have to get a torch up in there to break them loose.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Mine backed out again about 15k miles after replacing them the first time.

Tightening them down helps but doesn't take the slop out 100%. I actually put a whole new shift lever assembly in because the end of mine broke, and it still didn't fix the issue.

GreenMachine

Reaction score

imelmo

Reaction score
I'm assuming this would be the same on an '03 6.0? Mine does the same thing.

mudslinger02

Reaction score
I would have to double check, but I think it is the same part for 99-07 F-150-350. Go to O'reilly's site and search part number 905-102

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
My truck wouldnt come out of park, Replaced the bushing, perfect. Comes in two pack from Ford

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you sausage arms would quit ridin down the boulevard with you wrist wresting on the shifter it wouldnt get loose. Sounds like an easy.fix.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Not exactly! That one.is.firmly.rooted in the truth. Its.not.an opinion. Tons of.people put.the truck in gear and hang onto.the.shifter or put their arm on it and ***k with the radio vol knob.

David N

Reaction score
If you sausage arms would quit ridin down the boulevard with you wrist wresting on the shifter it wouldnt get loose. Sounds like an easy.fix.

Im 5'10" 165lbs. Far from a sausage arm as you say.

Maybe its the fact my truck has 220k miles and has been shifted from Park to Drive many times?

Arisley

Reaction score

Maybe its the fact my truck has 220k miles and has been shifted from Park to Drive many times?

I'm 6' even, weigh 210. 220K is low mileage.:pimp: That's not even far enough to reach the moon yet.

TyCorr

Reaction score

Well im currently 6'3" and 255(used to run around between 200 and 215 until 2 years ago when I gave up cycling/mtn biking for weight.lifting) and my shifter isnt loose. Even after 250+ k miles. Besides, I meant sausage arms as in skinny guys with jimmy dean sausage link arms LOL. Not what you thought.

You gonna post some pics so this.can get stickied? Help the next guy out.

Latest posts

Members online