coolant block plug

fyrehose

Reaction score
After flushing the coolant, I went to put the block plug back in and it never gets tight. I did not want to keep going fearing it would end up inside the block. If you look at the picture, the plug is way below the threads and it still leaks. I don't know if this is normal as I do not have another truck to look at. I'm just afraid if I try to tighten, it will fall inside the block.

BTW, when I took the plug out it was not tight at all, but it did not leak. This is the first time the plug has been taken out.

Attachments

• coolant plug.jpg
    coolant plug.jpg
    750.1 KB · Views: 63

TARM

Reaction score
Either that or try a new plug. The issue with the tapered threads is after over tightening they are no longer have a tight fit. Yours could have been from corrosion. The Teflon tape ( PTFE) has a rating of 500°F+ and slowly starts to break down above those temp until it fails around 750°F. For a coolant plug I doubt the block sees those temps there. If it was a header or right next to it that would be a diff story. You could also try a new plug and see if it has a tighter fit.

Arisley

Reaction score
I always use yellow Teflon tape also. The only thing I use white Teflon tape for is water. Even if it water with antifreeze use yellow.

fyrehose

Reaction score
Does anyone have a part number for the plug? Ford parts counter is of no help.

Arisley

Reaction score
Take the plug to Home Depot. In the plumbing department match it up with pipe thread plugs. It will cost you less then a buck.

Latest posts

Members online