Coolant help

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Cat has a version, havoline extended life and who knows what else. They may all be same. Not sure.

96stacked&smoken

Reaction score
Were could i pic some up? O i know this is the wrong section but is it all the bad to run green in a 6.0? I know there supos to have gold but ours has green i believe.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I would like to run something better than the green. I will look into the cat antifreeze.

TARM

Reaction score
If you truck is late 99 or newer use the ELC which is what some are calling Red coolant. It is vastly superior to any of the others and Gold is not good for our trucks IMO.

With the ELC you no longer have to ever add any SCA additives period. In fact doing so will bring you down to having to change it out like a "green" coolant. They are good for around 7 years 300K miles IIRC. Some vary a bit but the point is a very long time LOL

Change it every 5 years would certainly keep you safe.

Do your water pumps a favor and get a bypass filter or when the pump goes get a IH version with built in filter port. You would not believe the amount of left over sand form the block casting that left in some of these. Some filters are full of sand after just a week. That's why a good practice is to cut open the first one after a week and then decide how long to run the next based on what you find until it starts coming out clean. Then go to SCI

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
this is what I had in my filter before I did the ELC swap... 1500 miles on this filter...

photobucket-2210-1323135354571.jpg

TARM

Reaction score
YEP that is EXACTLY what I am talking about. People wonder why IH required bypass filters built into the pump and also why FORD did not. Ford wanted all the extra out of warranty work and to also save money upfront on a cheaper as in likely 1/2 the cost pump. Think of the millions they have made off just pump swaps and part markups.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
... yeap.. after that I bought twice as much distilled water and flushed her out, new degas bottle, and Prestone Red
photobucket-2550-1322887390184.jpg

TARM

Reaction score
Ha Ha did you get any looks or comments when you bought all that? I tend to.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Now you have me wondering if I screwed up, I bought the fleetright "green" from the local international dealer because it looked green before I flushed it and they recomended I get the green.

Latest posts

Members online