Coolant Refill after EGR Delete

StrokinDuty

Reaction score
I am trying to educate myself on refilling my coolant systems after I do my EGR delete this weekend. Ive searched on the web and the forum and havent came up with a answer, also read some EGR install sheets and it just says ''refill coolant systems''. I cant figure out if you have to add the coolant additive to the new coolant, or which product to use other than the Ford Gold coolant. Does someone have a straight answer on this? Is anyone reusing the coolant they drained from the delete?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Just fill it with coolant and check SCA's. You can buy the strips at any auto parts store. That will tell you if you need the additive. I wouldn't advise using the old coolant, but that's my opinion.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I am trying to educate myself on refilling my coolant systems after I do my EGR delete this weekend. Ive searched on the web and the forum and havent came up with a answer, also read some EGR install sheets and it just says ''refill coolant systems''. I cant figure out if you have to add the coolant additive to the new coolant, or which product to use other than the Ford Gold coolant. Does someone have a straight answer on this? Is anyone reusing the coolant they drained from the delete?

pretty much everyone does. I have re used it twice. all is well here.

Reaction score
Strokinduty, do not use Motorcraft Premium Gold in your truck. That is the wrong coolant. Make sure if you are using new coolant, you use the Motorcraft Specialty Orange Coolant, VC-3-B. Gold was used for 7.3s, 6.0s, and 6.4s but not the 6.7s. Just wanted to make sure you dont refill with the wrong coolant for your truck!

dsberman94

Reaction score
Yea, my 7.3 has definitely never had ford gold coolant in it.

If the op doesn't feel comfortable reusing the old coolant, you can flush the system and use ELC.

Reaction score
Yea, my 7.3 has definitely never had ford gold coolant in it.

If the op doesn't feel comfortable reusing the old coolant, you can flush the system and use ELC.

That is correct, most 7.3s used Motorcraft Green. However, some were factory filled with Gold. Could be the later years, not sure though. It was really more of just a generalized comment to help the OP on what couldve used Gold coolant. Just didnt want him refilling with the gold as that could be a badddddd deal haha.

StrokinDuty

Reaction score
That is correct, most 7.3s used Motorcraft Green. However, some were factory filled with Gold. Could be the later years, not sure though. It was really more of just a generalized comment to help the OP on what couldve used Gold coolant. Just didnt want him refilling with the gold as that could be a badddddd deal haha.

Thanks man, my dealer service dept. doesnt know what they are talking about then, he told me gold motorcraft, even showed me the jug and said do not put anything else!:badidea: My truck has 30k on the clock would you reuse? Hasn't had a check coolant service message yet

wideroad

Reaction score
I re-used my coolant and haven't had any issues. If your worried, just get the test strip as noted above and check it before you refill.

StrokinDuty

Reaction score
Thanks guys ill reuse and buy a test strip before I pour it in, just to know, is the coolants the same in both tanks?

StrokinDuty

Reaction score
What are you guys doing to burp the system? Turn heater on at operating temps and squeeze hoses until bubbles stop?

Latest posts

Members online