Couple questions on newly purchased 6.4

d.evil

Reaction score
Recently picked up a RCLB with 152k on it. Carfax was clean, overall truck is very nice for the mileage. Bone stock. It was sitting for a few months before I bought it. I've put about 50 miles on it, and its went into regen twice. I notice quite a bit of white smoke when the regen is on. Otherwise no smoke. No smoke on start-up. Fires right up, runs great, but am a little worried about the smoke. No codes or CEL. I pulled the oil filter cap and there is a little blowby, but nothing I would consider excessive (doesn't push my hand off when covering the hole).

We are doing a coolant flush, oil change and fuel filter change today, along with *** ******, H&S Mini, S&B intake, Coolant filter kit, no limit cold side pipe and Alradco intercooler as the stocker is pretty rough. We will do the ****** and see if it still smokes, and go from there. I am hoping its just from sitting for months and needing everything to be cleaned out.

I'm assuming if it still has white smoke with the *** ******d it has a cracked piston or bad turbo...?

sootie

Reaction score
when you pull the exhaust, check the downpipe for oil. if so-turbos.

If the blowby doest pulse with each time it fires, i doubt it has a cracked piston.

yank the hotside intercooler boot and see if there is any water-could just be condensation

Only other thing is possible cracked egr cooler. i would to an egr ****** regardless and rule that out.

My money is that it clears up once you ****** it.

d.evil

Reaction score
I pulled the hot side off and there is a bit of really black oil, but nothing I could call excessive for a truck with 150k on it. No water that I could see. It would make sense as its a Florida truck that is now living in Reno, so this is probably the first time its seen below freezing temps.

For the EGR ****** can I just unplug the electrical connections and disable it through the Mini? The truck has to pass visual inspection once a year, and from what I have been reading its a pain to remove both EGR coolers. I rather not have to do that once a year. The *** isn't as big of a hassle. We do that on the 6.7 and got it down to about 45mins.

Exhaust is coming off this afternoon...keeping my fingers crossed it is nice and dry inside!

sootie

Reaction score
Egr removal is a hassle but a cracked cooler could cause a hydrolocked motor...

2015sixohno

Reaction score
Pull the coolers go get
Some stainless steel plugs and find a buddy who's good with a tig welder. Block em up bypass the Coolant and reinstall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d.evil

Reaction score
Alright so went ahead and pulled the EGR stuff. We noticed quite a bit of nasty thick sticky black oily build up in the intake elbow and down the intake manifold towards the heads. I assume this is what happens when the EGR has been on the truck for 150k miles? I am hoping now that its gone it will slowly clean itself out...?

sootie

Reaction score
it wont clean itself out but it wont get any worse.

d.evil

Reaction score
Got it all buttoned up and seems to be running good. Got a bit white smoke on initial start-up, but seems to have cleared up. One thing, I can't see EGT on the Mini Maxx...tried pyro 1 and 2, and both read 0. Any ideas?

sootie

Reaction score
Got it all buttoned up and seems to be running good. Got a bit white smoke on initial start-up, but seems to have cleared up. One thing, I can't see EGT on the Mini Maxx...tried pyro 1 and 2, and both read 0. Any ideas?

go to menu-user options-pyo source and select oem pyro. it will then work

d.evil

Reaction score
Cool got it thanks. Man these 6.4's run so much better ******d! I'm still on the "stock" H&S tune and its awesome. Looking forward to trying the other tunes & installing traction bars :)

Latest posts

Members online