Custom Regulated Return

FarmWithAFord

Reaction score
So I've been wanting to do a regulated return and also wanting to delet3 my fuel bowl. I've looked at a bunch of different companies RR kits and they seem pretty simple. I really liked the Strictly Diesel kit because of the fuel bowl delet3 but the price is a little higher than I would like when I have a couple other things that need done too. I've done a little research and couldn't find a thread on it in here, so could anyone point me in the right direction of the parts I need to make a custom regulated return and how everything goes? I have an AirDog 150 right now and I'd like to get rid of my factory filtration along with have a little better fuel pressure/reliability behind my injectors. Thanks guys!
-Drew

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
If you build your own kit that uses the same quality of materials as the strictly kit, you will find the price is very close. I built my own but ended up buying the strictly kit anyway because I liked the stainless hardlines they use in areas where fuel lines are close to hot up pipes.

If you still want to build your own just post up what questions you have

FarmWithAFord

Reaction score
Okay, that makes a lot of sense. Is there an advantage to running hardlines through the engine bay over a braided stainless line?

And is there any way right now that I can ****** the factory frame rail mounted pump and run a line straight from my AirDog up?

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Yes, inside a stainless braided line there is a liner, that could be damaged by heat, a stainless hard line provides the best protection against heat. In areas where heat is less of a concern they use a very high quality braided line along with a protective sleeve that creates a very nice fit and finish. Also they use banjo bolts on the back of the heads and although they don't flow as much as a 90* elbow they guarantee that you won't have clearance issues with the up pipe.

What model of airdog 150 do you have? I wasn't aware they made a 55psi version? If it's only a lift pump you need your oem pump to ramp the pressure up

Last edited:

FarmWithAFord

Reaction score
Okay, I understand. I actually just looked it up and realized that it's only a 10psi pump right before I read this. I'll probably just end up going with strictly's kit at some point. I really wanna get rid of the fuel bowl. I can get away with just changing my airdog filters and not the factory ones, right? Thats what I've been doing.

04cr450

Reaction score
I have Marty's full rr kit.. quality kit and priced fantastic... you can't buy the parts yourself cheaper.. uses hard lines the back of engine as well. Can't go wrong with either kit strictly or marty..

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Okay, I understand. I actually just looked it up and realized that it's only a 10psi pump right before I read this. I'll probably just end up going with strictly's kit at some point. I really wanna get rid of the fuel bowl. I can get away with just changing my airdog filters and not the factory ones, right? Thats what I've been doing.

I would still change factory filters once a year just because.

The 150 feeding the stock pump is actually a really nice setup, and you can still dleet the fuel bowl if you want

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
I don't recommend getting rid of the stock secondary fuel filter bowl on the engine and not replacing it with something else down on the frame. It is always best to have a 2 micron filter in line after the last pump in the system (stock fuel pump in your case), just to make sure you have adequate protection for the fuel injectors.

In theory, the AirDog filters should be catching most everything that needs to be filtered. That said, I would still service the stock filters with some regularity (maybe every other time you change the AD filters or on a time basis like once a year) just because the filters themselves are still subjected to the fuel, additives in the fuel, heat, etc. Even though they may not be getting very dirty, after a while the filter itself could fail and cause a problem. More of a "better safe than sorry" situation than anything.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
The airdog should have a 2 micron filter on it, but another could be added for piece of mind if you want.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Yes, but that filter is BEFORE the stock pump. Contaminants in the fuel stream don't only come from the fuel tank...most do...but there is always that chance... Injectors are expensive compared to a filter so I would opt for a quality filter to located after the pump every time.

FarmWithAFord

Reaction score
Okay, thanks guys. I really appreciate it. I've replaced my AirDog at 10k so should I go ahead and do factory filters now too? Or can I wait 20k for the factories?

Countryboy07

Reaction score
I built my own fuel system back in the day on my '03 that worked pretty well. Could have been improved upon with the addition of hard lines at the back of the heads and additional filtration, but worked for me. Ran an aftermarket pump, similar to an aeromotive A1000 that went into a filter head with a Cat fuel filter. Ran -10 from the tank to the pump and then ran a Y from the filter into two -6 lines up the back of the heads. We cut the stock regulator off of the engine mounted fuel bowl and mounted an aeromotive regulator. Kept 60 psi of fuel pressure all day long with my 190/100's.

Latest posts

Members online