Dana 60 Tie rod movement

Redpower

Reaction score
I have always felt like the steering on my F350 has felt loose and finally got around to looking at it yesterday. Had the wife turn the wheel left and right while the truck was on the ground looking for movement at the tie rods. I found that the tie rods don't move, but rotate up and down as I turn the wheel left and right. Do the ends need to be replaced? Attached is a short bad quality video to try and show it. (I was moving them back and forth while shooting the video)
th_d60vid_zpsece4aded.jpg

Reaction score
This is very common. What I did was turn each tie rod end to the opposite direction, they are basically locked out against the knuckle. Some say its bad for them but I haven't had a issue yet.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
I have always felt like the steering on my F350 has felt loose and finally got around to looking at it yesterday. Had the wife turn the wheel left and right while the truck was on the ground looking for movement at the tie rods. I found that the tie rods don't move, but rotate up and down as I turn the wheel left and right. Do the ends need to be replaced? Attached is a short bad quality video to try and show it. (I was moving them back and forth while shooting the video)
th_d60vid_zpsece4aded.jpg

As was said, it's common as they wear and not much to be worried about. Keeping them greased up seems to help some.

This is very common. What I did was turn each tie rod end to the opposite direction, they are basically locked out against the knuckle. Some say its bad for them but I haven't had a issue yet.

I'm not following what you are saying...

superduty4x4

Reaction score
You think replacing the ends would help at all, or is it just a waste of time/ money?
I think that all it would do is reduce the noise, unless your tie rod ends are already worn out. If the truck still drives OK and there isn't a ton of slop in the tie rod ends, I'd make sure they are greased up and leave 'em alone.

Latest posts

Members online