DEF Tank?

under construction

Reaction score
Is there a reason that you can't remove the DEF tank? The previous owner deleted the truck as well as the DEF but left the tank and line on the truck. I want to know if I can remove the tank and if anyone has done this? Maybe a dumb question but I am new to this crap. Prior to this I owned a 1997. LOL Thanks for the help!

under construction

Reaction score
There is no reason for it to be under the truck that I can think of. I would like to take it off and flush the tank and the line and put it away with the stock exhaust. One less thing on the truck that is not needed.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
mine still has the full tank from the factory , needs to go too.

TheBigNasty

Reaction score
I'm in the mindset that, if it's not in the way or affecting performance, it's a lot easier to just leave it be. I'm also not planning on keeping the truck 10 years either.

under construction

Reaction score
mine still has the full tank from the factory , needs to go too.

You need to get that fluid out of there if you want to ever have any hopes of using that tank and line if the day comes! LOL have you seen DEF when it sits stagnant for any period of time? It crystalizes and gets hard like wet salt.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
You need to get that fluid out of there if you want to ever have any hopes of using that tank and line if the day comes! LOL have you seen DEF when it sits stagnant for any period of time? It crystalizes and gets hard like wet salt.

#aintcare

Fox

Reaction score

The crystalized DEF dissolves pretty much instantly with just some water, should be easy enough to flush it out if ever necessary.

I just deleted my truck Friday, I'm gonna yank my tank out as well, only reason it would stay is to store water/meth.

truckman1974

Reaction score
The crystalized DEF dissolves pretty much instantly with just some water, should be easy enough to flush it out if ever necessary.

I just deleted my truck Friday, I'm gonna yank my tank out as well, only reason it would stay is to store water/meth.

Be careful though.....I hear Meth is illegal and some bad stuff. Those mobile Meth labs are getting busted all over! :lame2:

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I have mine pulled for quite a while. Like the OP said it makes it a lot cleaner underneath. I got tired of the guys trying to refill it at my dealer so I took it off. Now if they try to fill it it will hit their feet as I left the filler neck but nothing connected to it.

under construction

Reaction score
I will get some picture up tomorrow if I remember to take some tonight. I also left the filler neck but removed everything else. I just didn't like the empty hole inside the fill door.

The water/meth idea has crossed my mind and I may try it some day using the DEF tank, but for now it will sit in the barn.

BK39

Reaction score
I removed mine because of the fluid crystalizing. And sure enough, at the end of the hose, it was already starting. But I removed lines, tank, filler neck and all. It wasn't bad, remove the exhaust, jack the truck up real high by the drop hitch(letting the axle hang down), lift the tank over the drive shaft. Done in a couple hours(being cautious drinking beer). :thumbsup:

TERRCO

Reaction score
So I take it the def fluid can be tuned out? What's it suppose to do for you anyway?

Sent from my Nuclear iPhone

Mpoage

Reaction score
I removed the tank, lines, filler neck, and anything associated with it. I also bought one of the rubber plugs they put in the gas trucks so i wouldnt have an empty hole.

20141020_132657_zpsebkqpvt8.jpg

20141020_132710_zpswkswbxsu.jpg

Latest posts

Members online