deleted 15 blown up

oxcobra

Reaction score
My buddy was headed to sema last night and last compression cylinder 7 & 8 and over heated. Given the truck is on 40s and was pulling a trailer but is this something we should be looking out for? Anyone else heard of 15s doing this? Debating putting my truck back to stick to see what pans out.

Any info from some tuners would be nice.

01PSD

Reaction score
Don't think I'd let 1 truck on 40s pulling a trailer with a failure deter me from keeping my truck deleted..

Reaction score
Wtf, what tuning? Intake? Exhaust? Anything on the truck? Mileage?

How much was the weight and how hot were ya getting her?

Was it on performance tune?

did ya keep that motor working hard?

We need a lot of info before we can start worrying.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
any idea what EGTS or EBP was like? 40's and towing a big trailer can be hard on stuff. I would say it will be like anything else people are going to keep an eye on their gauges.

oxcobra

Reaction score
Apparently this is the 3rd truck he has heard of doing it. The truck has a 16 inch lift and 40s pulling a half ton dodge to sema. I'm not sure on what setting he had it on but the tunes were from ppei and I'm sure he was running atleast 80

Reaction score
80, pretty sure truck had gears for those tire sizes,

Ppei has tuning for 2015? Wasn't aware of that.

Sorry for bombarding you with so many questions we just need to know everything you can possibly tell us.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Truck was geared for the 40's. As far as I know it was running a tow tune. Truck has less than 1,000 tuned miles on it.

Towing with the 40's isn't an issue as long as you watch your temps and the lift Is put together right.
Trailer was a double axle bumper pull, and it was a single cab half ton ram loaded. Really not a stressful load.

Talked to the guys around 07:00 central time and tried to get some info over the phone to help.
Apparent it popped a code and the the tuner told them to clear the code and keep rolling as he had seen it before. Than about 30 miles later it dropped the pistons.

It's a bummer the truck isn't making it there. The late nights to get the group of trucks done was taxing for the crew.

Last edited:

oxcobra

Reaction score
Screenshot_2014-11-02-18-06-20_zps1xezw23y.png

Reaction score
Just saw that... Sob. No bueno.

How was it towing with the ppei tuning? I'm guessing it was tuned with a sct x4?

Were you the first with this tuning?

Wondering if tuning has to do with that.

That truck even under that stress shouldn't have given out like that, but you said it overheated so it must have had a problem somewhere

oxcobra

Reaction score
Ya chris I was just talking to eric about kt trying to get some info. Being that mine is deleted I wanted to see if I should be looking out for anything. I don't know all the details and the whole story just searching around the forum for answers for both him and me. Seeing if some of the testers that had more miles had problems or any shops/tuners had any input.

oxcobra

Reaction score
I'm emailing back and forth with mike right now to see if he has heard of any 15 issues or if this is just a fluke type deal. Sucks for the guys at the ship they have put a lot of time in the 5 trucks going to sema this year. The camo truck won't be making it but the dodge is on the trailer behind another truck they built.

oxcobra

Reaction score
Not that I am aware of. When I talked to him they just towed it to the shop and we're debating which way to go with it. I think he is Prob gonna get it back to Houston first but I don't know that for sure.

FordPSD64

Reaction score
i tend to not get worked up over things like these... theres always gonna be a lemon in anything thats mass produced. i don't think its going to be a common problem

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Ya chris I was just talking to eric about kt trying to get some info. Being that mine is deleted I wanted to see if I should be looking out for anything. I don't know all the details and the whole story just searching around the forum for answers for both him and me. Seeing if some of the testers that had more miles had problems or any shops/tuners had any input.

I hear you. Talked I Taylor this morning trying to get as much info as I could. Told him to keep an eye on the blue trucks gauges and if it throws my codes to pull it over.

Morgan at Midwest diesel and or mike may be able to push you farther in the right direction (I know mike is working with a tuner right now)

Taylor has my number if y'all need anything from me on my end.
Beat of luck to y'all gettin the rest of the way without any problems!

Latest posts

Members online