Deleted 6.4 fuel in oil

Bair

Reaction score
Ok engine has 213k. Egr and dpf deleted with h&s. Replace the hpfp about 1500 miles ago and it took all 8 injectors with it. Put a used 5k mile pump on flushed the rails and replaced the filters. Truck runs awesome. Smooth, good power, no hazing. (well, today I thought it was hazing just a little with a cold engine an high idle) But haven't noticed it any other times. But the truck is definitely putting fuel in the crank case. To the tune of probably 4 gallon in those 1500 miles.( I've been draining and adding new oil to avoid dilution.) No codes or nothin. I'm prolly crazy for driving it that long but just tryin to figure out where all the fuel could be coming from.

Reaction score
Remove valve covers, see if any lines are leaking at injectors or rail. If not, drain oil keep plug off, and pressure fuel system and see if fuel drains thru oil drain..

Bair

Reaction score
Ok I'm still waiting on the shop to get it in. He's extremely busy right now. And I don't have time to tear into it myself. I'm just hoping its not a bad seal or something on that used pump I got.

Stroked777

Reaction score
I'm going to go with a leaking injector line too seeing that they been changed recently. Or possibly a cracked seat where it seals under the nut. I seen cracks on those in Mercedes diesels

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Did you replace all the fuel lines when you pulled the rails? If not I bet that's your issue.

This, but I would take Dorians advise and see if you can see fuel leaking from the rails and lines. Never reuse any high pressure fuel lines on the 6.4, some may have gotten away lucky by doing it but if you do it and don't have their luck it is an expensive mistake.

Alfie

Reaction score
Second this never reuse the lines. But I think injectors come with new tubes. Also torque these injectors to spec. Over torque you will get a leak. If you torqued them after the injectors were installed then you probably didn't line them up correctly. There is a sequence that should be followed unless you have the experience to deviate from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bair

Reaction score
What would be the possible causes of a bad pump seal? Supposedly th pump has 5k miles and it turned nice an smooth compared to my old pump that turned very rough. You could definitely tell th old one was messed up.

Bair

Reaction score
We have done about a good 8 or 9 pumps due to the seals being damaged.

Not happy to hear this. Oh well guess we'll see. When my pump went bad he couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start and I think there was a lot of loosening an tightening the high pressure lines. He's very busy an hasn't yet had a chance to get it in.

Chris.v

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. Truck has 52,000 miles on it. Deleted about 5,000 ago and the oil level keeps rising. My local shop wants to pull the valve covers for the same reason. Really really hoping its not the pump though. The 6.7 scorp has really been tempting me lol.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I've seen a restricted fuel return cause the seal to blow out and dump that much fuel in the crankcase in about a half hour.

If the pump has too much leak by and basically has too much return fuel it will begin to do the same. Similar to a case drain on a hydraulic pump... Just replaced one in a backhoe yesterday for transferring Hyd oil into the Trans.

Alfie

Reaction score
Two question. What do u mean by "deleted" ? Second question on the restricted return? What do u mean. We're in the return system gets restricted ? The HPP returns back to the fuel cooler and then from there it becomes parts of the fuel supply again.

If u mean the fuel bowl return, then u would be able to check base fuel pressure for return restrictions as base fuel pressure will increase and be over specs.

Reaction score
Dang that's alot. By "we" you mean your shop right ? My dealer has done some too but i wasn't the tech. What test did u do to confirm this?

after finding fuel not coming from under valve covers, and from oil drain, removed cab. pressured up fuel system and found seal leaking, and yes we..the shop(PSE).

Alfie

Reaction score
Dang that's alot. By "we" you mean your shop right ? My dealer has done some too but i wasn't the tech. What test did u do to confirm this?

after finding fuel not coming from under valve covers, and from oil drain, removed cab. pressured up fuel system and found seal leaking, and yes we..the shop(PSE).

Ok. How bad was the leak? Usually I just run the key several times and see if fuel comes from the drain hole. But like I said I haven't ran into one yet. I'm sure its comming lol.

Latest posts

Members online