Delta solution thought similar to delta kit

boboznutz

Reaction score
I have a 2003 excursion that I just did a sinister egr and oil cooler on and am seeing 25 degree deltas. Flushed properly till clean prior to replacement and backflushed after with no change.

Looked at the Absolute delta kit and thought it may solve my problem, well turns out you need an egr delete for it to work. I am in California so thats no dice for me.

After looking at his kit I was thinking, what if I drillled out the 3/8 hose barb on the top of the manifold that lets air go back to the degas bottle and hooked up a say 5/8 hose back to the degas bottle or to the y under the degas bottle. Wouldnt this do somewhat the same thing as the delta kit? Seems like it would help more coolant go thru the oil cooler and the egr cooler.

Any thoughts on this? I am going crazy trying to find a solution to this issue and I really want to tow my toy hauler this summer without 250 degree oil temps!

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I have a 2003 excursion that I just did a sinister egr and oil cooler on and am seeing 25 degree deltas. Flushed properly till clean prior to replacement and backflushed after with no change.

Looked at the Absolute delta kit and thought it may solve my problem, well turns out you need an egr delete for it to work. I am in California so thats no dice for me.

After looking at his kit I was thinking, what if I drillled out the 3/8 hose barb on the top of the manifold that lets air go back to the degas bottle and hooked up a say 5/8 hose back to the degas bottle or to the y under the degas bottle. Wouldnt this do somewhat the same thing as the delta kit? Seems like it would help more coolant go thru the oil cooler and the egr cooler.

Any thoughts on this? I am going crazy trying to find a solution to this issue and I really want to tow my toy hauler this summer without 250 degree oil temps!

You flushed the truck before changing the oil cooler?

How did you perform the "flush"?
What coolant r u running?
If you switched coolant, when did you switch?
How long did you run with the new coolant after the flush and before the oil cooler.

I have been watching/looking into this for a long time and most people don't drive the truck long enough after flushing and end up clogging the new cooler, and/or change coolant right before or after the new oil cooler.

Essentially they are guaranteeing that they end up with a clogged new oil cooler.

03_PSD

Reaction score
That's what I am wondering too. How long after the flush did you change the cooler.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Let me clarify, currently we do not offer a delta kit for the egr equipped vehicles. We are currently manufacturing a bypass setup that will be functional with the cooler AND our delta kit. Time line, is up in the air at the moment. I would say 4-6 weeks out

boboznutz

Reaction score
Flushed same day as cooler change prior to cooler change. Flushed per instructions for restore and restore plus removed thermostat and heat cycled properly. Clean as hell after flush and during back flushing. Mechanic has done several of these jobs all the same way and never had a problem. He runs a bus company and has lots of 6.0 party busses

boboznutz

Reaction score
Let me clarify, currently we do not offer a delta kit for the egr equipped vehicles. We are currently manufacturing a bypass setup that will be functional with the cooler AND our delta kit. Time line, is up in the air at the moment. I would say 4-6 weeks out

I would be interested! I just cant loose the egr cooler due to smog requirements here

Mdub707

Reaction score
Bulletproof Diesel air to oil cooler would be my choice. Their EGR cooler would be a good idea too.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Flushed same day as cooler change prior to cooler change. Flushed per instructions for restore and restore plus removed thermostat and heat cycled properly. Clean as hell after flush and during back flushing. Mechanic has done several of these jobs all the same way and never had a problem. He runs a bus company and has lots of 6.0 party busses

I am 90% sure that is why your oil cooler failed again. I started a poll over on the org and that seems to be a very common trend for multiple failed oil coolers.

IMO anyone thinking about flushing needs to flush, put on a coolant filter, switch to better coolant (like cat ec-1), and then drive for a couple thousand miles on the old cooler. That way if anything happens it will happen on the old cooler. Then after a couple thousand miles change the old cooler.

It seems that a common trend for multiple failed coolers is if you flush or change coolant just before changing the oil cooler. No matter how much you flush, back flush, what chemicals you use, etc...

Mcrafty1

Reaction score
I am 90% sure that is why your oil cooler failed again. I started a poll over on the org and that seems to be a very common trend for multiple failed oil coolers.

IMO anyone thinking about flushing needs to flush, put on a coolant filter, switch to better coolant (like cat ec-1), and then drive for a couple thousand miles on the old cooler. That way if anything happens it will happen on the old cooler. Then after a couple thousand miles change the old cooler.

It seems that a common trend for multiple failed coolers is if you flush or change coolant just before changing the oil cooler. No matter how much you flush, back flush, what chemicals you use, etc...
:whs:

Lyrch

Reaction score
I think I was planning on doing this wrong. I need to change my oil cooler now. I was planning on changing the oil cooler, doing egr delete, installing delta kit, and coolant filter all at the same time. Then flushing the system and putting in new coolant. Are y'all saying I need to flush now then do all the parts after a couple thousand miles?

03_PSD

Reaction score
Personal experience here. My deltas were 25 plus difference. I bought all parts to do oil cooler, egr delete and coolant filter. I flushed my system and back washed everything. Switched to elc and my deltas are around 15 right now. I know its clogged still. I'm driving it like this for a couple thousand miles than digging into it. Hopefully like others said if something broke loose my old cooler will catch it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Modding that port isn't going to help. The air pressure inside the degas bottle will limit the coolant flow. Something is causing a poor flow thru the system.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yes, if you do a chemical flush you need to do it BEFORE replacing the oil cooler. If you replace the cooler, then do the chemical flush and loosen everything up, where do you think it ends up? Right back in the new oil cooler. You can put the coolant filter on before the flush if you wish, just change the filter after you put the other new parts on again.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.