Delta's, how important are they rly

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
So the truck has a bigger oil to coolant temp gap than it should, highway at 70 coolant is 178-182 and oil is 190-198 they both fluctuate a bit. Question is on a deleted truck whats the big deal if your running a 17-20* delta? Provided the temps are low enough on both sides to not boil over or start melting chit.

The over 15* gap isnt throwing and codes.

Also to go along with that, i know my coolant temp is a bit low seeing as it doesnt hit 190 ever. Should a deleted truck run a higher range thermostat? Makes sense to me due to the coolant not cooling the egr thus not reaching the temps it would with egr.
But with the coolant temp hotter obviously the oil temp would rise accordingly and then oil will be over 200 i dont think it would reach dangerous levels though.
Am i over thinking this or could i be in for another oil cooler sooner or later?

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
The 15 deg gap wont throw codes and the 15 deg gap is a number to say " hey, Im going to need to swap out the cooler soon ". If it goes to 16 deg the truck isnt going to implode. It just an arbitrary number as a early warning sign to replace that cooler. All in all, yes replace the cooler.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Gotcha
So wth could be clog a cooler inside 10k miles? Coolant is clean, last oil change the oil filter didnt have anything out of the norm inside the filter media. I do have some small chunks of hard black chit on the dip stick which i assume is soot out of the turbo but idk rly what it is it isnt metal is all i know for sure.

Just read to check the temps after the truck has sat and cooled for a day to see if they are the same so i will check that later today and hope the oil temp sensor has chit the bed.

Irontx

Reaction score
I would look more at your low coolant temps.... 190-198 is great for oil temp.... it's when your coolant is at 195... and you eot is at 225 that you have a problem ....

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
I think i am going to put a higher range thermostat in and see what happens. 195 maybe, idk what is stock so ill hafta look it up.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
You already have a bad tstat based on your numbers above. Change it with a stock one a see what happens. Stock starts opening at 192* and is fully open at something like 225*.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
You already have a bad tstat based on your numbers above. Change it with a stock one a see what happens. Stock starts opening at 192* and is fully open at something like 225*.

Thx man, will do.

Well the cold temps after letting the truck sit for 10 hours then 12 hours where three degrees apart both times, oil temp hotter. Idk if thats normal or not but i wasn't expecting them to be the same. Three degrees seems like quite a difference after that amount of time, especially seeing as it went down to around 45 last night and the oil pan is exposed to full ambient temp when the coolant isnt.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Changed thermostat with stock part number and now its holding constant 190 ect 193 eot on IDP x race file.
I havent had a chance to fully heat soak it yet tho, only have a 10 minute commute and i let it idle for 10-15 mins before i leave. Probly still have some air in the system too. Will report back when i can put some constant miles on it.

Latest posts

Members online