Deranged rebuild, the next chapter

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Luckily I'm pretty darn good on a pro tree. Now if I cut down the tree and knock off a .1 or 2 ill be right there with the rest of them. Hopefully it pans out for us! Been alot of work to get this far.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
I think just the simple regear will help us out more than we think here is why.

With the 3.73 gears we have now at 3800rpm we are at 128mph at 4500 rpm we are at 151 mph (limiter was at 4400 last Friday that's why it was 145)

With 3.31 gears at 3800 it will be 142 and 168 at 4500.

Where I don't think we will come close to the 168mph mark I do think I will be in my power band for a longer time durning the run. Any rpm after 3800 I'm going to be dropping power off thus not accelerating as fast. If you watch the in cab videos you can see that I shift 2-3-4 pretty fast then I make the back 1/8 mile pull all in OD. And I think that's why I feel it stop pulling on the big end because at that rpm we arnt making as much power.

Just how I see it in my head. Hope it's right!

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Sounds right. My truck does the same thing, it runs out of steam at the big end with a stock cam, short gear, and small tires.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Getting a care package from Moroni :evil

Building 355/250 injectors oil side of a 295

image_zps35fefe64.jpg

image_zps443aee86.jpg

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I think just the simple regear will help us out more than we think here is why.

With the 3.73 gears we have now at 3800rpm we are at 128mph at 4500 rpm we are at 151 mph (limiter was at 4400 last Friday that's why it was 145)

With 3.31 gears at 3800 it will be 142 and 168 at 4500.

Where I don't think we will come close to the 168mph mark I do think I will be in my power band for a longer time durning the run. Any rpm after 3800 I'm going to be dropping power off thus not accelerating as fast. If you watch the in cab videos you can see that I shift 2-3-4 pretty fast then I make the back 1/8 mile pull all in OD. And I think that's why I feel it stop pulling on the big end because at that rpm we arnt making as much power.

Just how I see it in my head. Hope it's right!

I don't post much but I follow your thread and love reading about your progress. Congrats on all your hard work so far... Very Impressive.

You touched on something that I have always thought about but I don't read/hear much about it... Would there be gains to be had if you timed your shifts to keep you in the higher HP area of the dyno graph so that you are using more of your peak hp down the track.

You would obviously have to have a dyno graph to see where you are making your power... but would there be any gains to be had if you made sure to shift to the next gear before the power starts to fall off? Would there be any downside to shifting sooner?

Basically I always thought it would be cool to use a dyno to adjust your gears and tranny shifting so that you stay in the peak power area of the graph longer while hitting the end of the track at your peak power, not necessarily at the highest end of your rpm band... theoretically it would help throw you down the track faster.

Any thoughts?

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
That's exactly what we are doing after we get it dialed In on the dyno next week. I feel it pick up after a shift so I think we are holding on to it too long. But Seeing the graph will tell the tale

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
getting so close buddy. never thought I would say this , but 8's are VERY possible.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
How much shim were you running?

Can't give away any specs sorry. Out of respect to the injector builder.

getting so close buddy. never thought I would say this , but 8's are VERY possible.

Thanks we are going to try that's for sure. Even if we don't get it before the mustang takes the spotlight I'm going to set the ranger more on kill and see what she can do since we won't be needing to make rounds with it anymore as much

Latest posts

Members online