Disappearing coolant trick

Isaac3384

Reaction score
I recently picked up an 04 F350 with a 6.0 and I've noticed coolant disappearing. I can't seem to find anywhere that it's leaking, and with this being my first diesel, I thought I'd ask where the most likely places that it would have problems. If I can't find anything by the end of the weekend, I'll probably end up taking it to a shop. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am mechanically inclined, I just don't know where to start.

Thanks,
Isaac

Wright337

Reaction score
How much are you loosing? Could be the egr cooler, the degas bottle, and I have also had a leak at the y under the degas bottle.

Isaac3384

Reaction score
It's around 1/2 gallon to 1 gallon per tank of fuel. There's no drips or wet spots anywhere under the truck or in the engine compartment.

Isaac3384

Reaction score
HG's? I need it in the terms of a simpleton...this is my first diesel...lol

fordboy11

Reaction score
You head gaskets are bad and coolant is leaking into the cylinders and your coolant is being burnt along with your fuel and air inside your cylinder chamber and being burnt and in turn going out your tail pipe. But I would check you egr valve first.

Isaac3384

Reaction score
Head gaskets...gotcha...I've never seen someone abbreviate it before...

I understand how engines work and am fully capable of doing most repairs, but I'm not familiar with diesels so I figured I'd ask the people that could point me in the right direction. I'll start digging around tomorrow after work. I hope it's not the head gaskets, it looks like it would be a royal pain to tear into...

Wright337

Reaction score
Pull your egr valve. Round, silver cylinder with a black top and two 8mm bolts. It has a plug on top and is between the alt. and the oil filter. Pull that and look inside and see if it looks wet down inside of the intake. If it is then your egr cooler has taken a dump and is leting cooland into your exhaust and head cyl. I would recomend doing an egr delete either way. And when buying a kit make sure it comes with the solid up pipe also.

Isaac3384

Reaction score
Nice and descriptive...that's what I'm talking about! I'll be ripping into it tonight!

Thanks everyone for your feedback, i'll be sure to post what I find.

Isaac3384

Reaction score
I took my truck to the local ford dealership and had them take a look at it this morning. Their normal techs were not working, so the guy that looked my truck over couldn't find anything. I had them flush the system and put all new coolant in, then proceeded to drive around. After about 30 min of driving I stopped for breakfast and smelled coolant, so I popped the hood. As soon as I popped the hood I found the problem; the plastic tank on top of the engine has a crack in it...sweet baby Jesus, it's nothing major! I did find out that my truck hasn't had the egr delete done, so after Christmas I'll be purchasing a kit...does anyone on here in the dfw area know of a reputable shop that can do the install? I'm sure taking it to the dealership would be a financial raping! Lol

Keanoknick

Reaction score
Get in touch with BroncoF250444 (aka Matt) he's a Ford Diesel tech, at a local DFW ford dealership, he does great work, he's worked on my truck, and several other members. he really knows his stuff, and I highly recommend him. Shoot him a PM, or PM me and I'll get you his number.

Isaac3384

Reaction score
I would like to do the head stud upgrade aswell, and I'm just not comfortable tearing that deep into an engine without some expert advice. I'm good at simple, bolt on modifications that don't require tearing an engine apart...if it were suspension, frame, fabrication, or wiring, I'm completely confident. I just don't want to make a whoopsie I can't afford...lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.