Dome light problem!

mikes02ls1

Reaction score
Here is a problem going across the grain with the dome lights out there on the ole internet. My vehicle is a 2000 f350 crew cab. Vehicle was a theft recovery with the interior and doors stolen off of it. Harness was cut. New doors are from a 05 F350 crew cab. With the front doors open my interiors lights come and shut off when you shut the door or lock the doors. If you open the rear doors, which lock and unlock fine, the dome light doesnt come on and the door ajar light doesnt light up on the dash. I'm other words the vehicle doesn't see the rear doors are open thinks they're closed. I have to keep my front doors open to see at night getting items in the back seat. Just bought new door lock actuators installing them today. Lost, what can it be, locks all lock and unlock to factory specs. Why when I open my rear doors and the door ajar light in the dash doesn't indicate that my doors are open, but when I open my front doors the dash lights up door ajar and dome lights come on? Sorry for the rant been searching the Web crazy with no luck.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

mikes02ls1

Reaction score
Wiring is all there, replaced door ajar switch with motorcraft units. Check with test light to see if power/ground is going to switch which it is. Still nothing when opening rear doors on the crew cab, no light and no door ajar light on dash.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Did you replace the GEM? And did you get door ajar switches for a 05 or 00?

Gem is on the back side of the fuse box.

mikes02ls1

Reaction score
The doors are from a 05 crew cab. Truck was a theft recover. Interior, doors, bed and front clip stolen.

mikes02ls1

Reaction score
All replace with a 05 front clip and interior, with a 2013 bed.

co04cobra

Reaction score
The 05 door ajar switches won't work with a 00 gem. That is some of your problem.

mikes02ls1

Reaction score
Crazy thing is the front doors are 05 and the door ajar switch works when you open the front doors.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Crazy thing is the front doors are 05 and the door ajar switch works when you open the front doors.

Where did you run 05 door wiring into a 00 cab? What year dash harness is in the truck? Ford used about 3 different door ajar switches from 99-05. The "right" switch and/or plug will not even plug into a 05 harness or switch.

Some of the differences were the way the switched grounded out and how the GEM or VSM interpreted it.

mikes02ls1

Reaction score
They spliced the harness down by the kick panels. Dash harness is all from 00, and so is the dash.

co04cobra

Reaction score
They spliced the harness down by the kick panels. Dash harness is all from 00, and so is the dash.

That sounds like a mess to me, but it could be done that way I suppose.

You need to hook it to a good scanner that can see what the GEM is seeing for door ajar. Or if the gem is even setup for a 4dr truck.

mikes02ls1

Reaction score
Ok will get to shop and get them hook up the Snap On scanner. TY

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.