Don't think rings are set

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Rotella is the easiest oil to get on the planet, and even though its got quite a bit of zddp in it, it still makes for a decent break in oil, mostly because the zddp pack is the cheapest of the cheapest.
I'd love to test LE 8800 against Shaf someday. Shaf is the only oil I can't seem to get anyone to test against. Says good things about the product.
I think the perfect break in oils are delvac elite, rimula, or and ursa super. Those seem to be the worst performing oils ive seen for diesels on the broader market.
In theory a cheap high viscosity API SN oil might work, but i hate SN oils personally, and with the large amount of oil that stays in the engine when you change it, it takes probably two changes to get all that crap out of there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I guess in retrospect Motorcraft would also be a decent break in oil.

swinky

Reaction score
Rotella is the easiest oil to get on the planet, and even though its got quite a bit of zddp in it, it still makes for a decent break in oil, mostly because the zddp pack is the cheapest of the cheapest.
I'd love to test LE 8800 against Shaf someday. Shaf is the only oil I can't seem to get anyone to test against. Says good things about the product.
I think the perfect break in oils are delvac elite, rimula, or and ursa super. Those seem to be the worst performing oils ive seen for diesels on the broader market.
In theory a cheap high viscosity API SN oil might work, but i hate SN oils personally, and with the large amount of oil that stays in the engine when you change it, it takes probably two changes to get all that crap out of there.

My truck Idles like chit with rotella but it holds icp better than anything else.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

jimdawg185

Reaction score
That might not be the quality of oil related. Rotella is a halfway decent base stock similar to many with more of a lesser quality zddp pack. It's hydraulic properties are more than likely just by chance better in your truck. HEUI has so many places where vis, VI, ect ect can vary the outcome of the equation, blaming or crediting oil is pretty subjective. Outside a high quality oil analysis report comparing a single asset, you would need lots of data logging laid over that analysis to convince me. I've seen thousands of trended analysis from damn near every oil manufacturer in most of the more popular power plants in most industries. I base my opinion above on those oils based on how they look in all those applications at the end of the lubricants life. There is some subjectivity involved, but, theres a lot of objective data I'm basing my subjective opinion on.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That might not be the quality of oil related. Rotella is a halfway decent base stock similar to many with more of a lesser quality zddp pack. It's hydraulic properties are more than likely just by chance better in your truck. HEUI has so many places where vis, VI, ect ect can vary the outcome of the equation, blaming or crediting oil is pretty subjective. Outside a high quality oil analysis report comparing a single asset, you would need lots of data logging laid over that analysis to convince me. I've seen thousands of trended analysis from damn near every oil manufacturer in most of the more popular power plants in most industries. I base my opinion above on those oils based on how they look in all those applications at the end of the lubricants life. There is some subjectivity involved, but, theres a lot of objective data I'm basing my subjective opinion on.

my 7.3s run like dog chit with rochitta... i dont give a crap about a analysis of the oil if its romping, bucking, starting harder, idling chity, and losing icp.. i wont run it in mine or any of them!!

live life full throttle

swinky

Reaction score
I'm just saying it starts like chit, idles like chit but holds icp better than delo.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Its a crazy how one truck can act one way with this oil, and another truck act differently with the same oil. Some of it is the oil, but some of it is the truck. Didn't want to derail this gentleman's thread though. We can have any discussion about oil yall want though. I won't bull **** you, but I'm not going to candy coat **** either.

Reaction score

I've been running Schaffers 9000 in my truck for awhile. I'm coming up on my OCI. Get me set up to test it again your LE 8800.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Shoot me a text this week. 616-460-9949

Arisley

Reaction score
It's about $80 for 16 quarts. :eek:

And... I did do the fuel system like you told me to!!!!

So :slap:

Not griping at you, but, how much you got in your motor? What's a couple of oil changes to get it broken in and running right. I would buy cheap diesel oil and a good oil filter for the break in. When the rings seat as good as they are going to, change the oil and filter again to your favorite flavor and enjoy the truck.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Not griping at you, but, how much you got in your motor? What's a couple of oil changes to get it broken in and running right. I would buy cheap diesel oil and a good oil filter for the break in. When the rings seat as good as they are going to, change the oil and filter again to your favorite flavor and enjoy the truck.
exactly!!

live life full throttle

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Your right I do have a good bit of money in it. My thought was the lighter weight oil will let the rings set quicker. Using the 15/40 may not let them set. Not much experience with breaking in motors.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Your right I do have a good bit of money in it. My thought was the lighter weight oil will let the rings set quicker. Using the 15/40 may not let them set. Not much experience with breaking in motors.
well. if you would have listened to begin with then you wouldnt have wasted more money.

live life full throttle

Strokersace

Reaction score
, he didn't really get that did he???
Well apparently he did. I'm beginning to wonder about Magnum's smarts. Doesn't research this or understand fully beforehand, doesn't listen to great advice in this thread, then gets SAE 30 because he doesn't feel that what people are telling him will work...

Heck, I guess I shouldn't expect much from someone who goes on the local news to complain about thieves stealing his tools from an unsecured building with windows broken out... I mean come on, if its really that valuable, secure it and don't complain about it if you don't. But that's just me using common sense!!

Latest posts

Members online