Driveshaft question

GreenF350

Reaction score
My stock driveshaft has finally worn out, well....sort of. The blue anti-friction coating on the splines decided it wanted to flake off and has left me with a noticeable and unacceptable amount of play at the splines causing a vibration. I went down to one of the local dealers today to price a new one and got told that they are no longer manufacturing or selling a double cardan "cv" style shaft that it is a "new" design that only has two u-joints but will "bolt right in". I know it doesn't just work like that because the angle on the rear axle would have to change if it was only two u joints so....what's the deal? The part number he gave me is F81Z-4602DLG. Can anyone that works at a dealership or shop confirm or deny that number is a 1-piece, 3 u-joint, double cardan style driveshaft for the rear of a 2000 F-350 SRW 4x4 Supercab, short bed with a 7.3L, 4R100 Automatic? I don't want to order and pay for it and have it be the wrong one. That is a good chunk of money to tie up into something that might not be right. Thanks!
-Aaron

GreenF350

Reaction score
The plan as far as what? It won't be going any higher than it is now, in fact it MIGHT come down 2". I'm shooting to be about 500hp capable, but won't be racing or sped pulling. If you mean what is the plan for the driveshaft, well....that is what Im trying to figure out. The nearest place that will build a shaft is an hour away and I don't know how good of a job they do...Figured it was just easier to get one from the dealer, well...I did until it wasn't as simple as ordering it and throwing it in.
-Aaron

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I wouldn't lower that truck one centimeter... that thing looks great man.

Yes I was wondering what you were doing for the DS issue though

GreenF350

Reaction score
I don't WANT to lower it, but I'm planning to buy a decent sized gooseneck/fifth wheel trailer and will need to be able to tow it. Thanks for the compliment though. I guess what I'm going to do will depend on what, if anything I can find out about the stocker. Price is similar, but a bit higher at the dealer.
-Aaron

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I've got a 6" and I tow great. A 5er might be a bitch to tow, a gooser wont have any issues

GreenF350

Reaction score
Yeah, I've towed a 35' flat bed gooseneck, but I am looking at a cargo style toy hauler trailer. Not sure how the part over the bed and/or the part behind the axles will do being hooked to my truck, the dovetail on the 35'er was low enough I had to pay real close attention how/where I went in parking lots and the like. When I get closer to time to buy one I will do some test fits and see.
-Aaron

jbwaldrop88

Reaction score
Are the splines themselves worn out? If not you can get the blue stuff redone, they recoated mine when I had my U-joints redone, though the shop I used does alot of work with Spicer stuff so that might have something to do with it. And you could always lift the 5er, toy haulers are tall anyways, whats a "little" more LOL

GreenF350

Reaction score
Hmmm...Interesting. I kind of figured a recoat was out of the question. That should be easy enough if I can find a place. Splines at least WERE good, but it has some miles on it now. Guess we'll see. Thanks for the heads up.
-Aaron

Latest posts

Members online