E99 drivability issue

bryan.d

Reaction score
I have an E99 that is giving me trouble. It starts and idles fine until it get warm then it starts to miss like it running on 4 cyl. Appears to start missing on one cyl. at first then gradually gets worse. I pull over and let it idle with a little revving it up there is some greyish/white smoke from the tailpipe and knocking and it clears up and idles fine. No codes with OBD2 reader. Then I proceed to drive on and the same missing starts again. The symptoms started all of a sudden while driving felt a stumble then the problems started. I have been searching this site and others with little luck. The truck has 248k and i purchased it with 170k. Mostly stock with the exception of exhaust, 6637 air filter, and SCT canned tunes. I have replaced both UVH (motorcraft)and one VC gasket (felpro. waiting for the other to come in). One of the UVH and VC gasket had a burnt terminal(drivers side). Oil level is good. Fuel is good and clear. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me has a little insight on the problem. Thanks for reading and I apologize for the the long read.

bryan.d

Reaction score
Funny thing you should suggest that i check the alt. the battery light on the dash has been flashing intermittingly for a couple of months now. I didn't think anything about it because the batteries have been staying charged (no sluggish starting) and voltage output is over 14 volts. I will get it checked out today.

Arisley

Reaction score
Check out the big single terminal on the alternator. That connector likes to break, it will hold a "connection" because of the heat shrink. It will sorta work.

bryan.d

Reaction score
Turns out the alternator was bad. Peeled the heat shrink off the big terminal and it was good. Installed new alt. seems to be ok. Still have a slight miss when hot, but not as bad seems like one cylinder is at about 75%, comes and goes. One other thing i noticed after the alt install is that the fuel pump doesn't stop while the glow plugs are heating up.

bryan.d

Reaction score
Just finished messing around with the truck. After attempting to head out this am thinking I had the problem fixed. Did the exact same thing just took a little longer to act up. I kept having a feelong it was fuel related. I had a hi volume high press. electric pump from a previous race car, that i decided to put on for ****s and giggles. Guess what no miss and runs a hell of a lot better. Fixed...... What would be an upgraded pump to put in as i will be putting in some larger sticks in the near future?

Latest posts

Members online