e99 ecm upgrade question?

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
I'm running Torque Pro right now and my e99 ecm is really limiting me on what I can do with the program. Some parameters when chosen will actually shut the truck off.

I'm wondering if an ecm from a 2003 will work if I installed it in place of my current one? Would I gain a few more pid's by installing this? Currently TP cannot even tell the coolant temperature of the truck, or the voltage of the charging system, etc. Truck in sig.

79jasper

Reaction score
Usually truck shutting off with torque I'd one of few causes. 1. Cheap dongle. 2. Wrong settings in torque. 3. Error in the pids.

Most 7.3's don't report actual ECT to the computer. On the obs manual transmission trucks they have a ECT sensor, but it only runs the dash gauge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
^^ Thx for the reply. I contacted Torque Pro and described the problems, and they stated there were a small batch of Ford F350 trucks (e99) with an ecm that they called "corrupted" that would have problems with TP. I have used this particular bluetooth connector with many different vehicles with no problems previous.

I was curious as well, but quite honestly trying to access a gauge that is not supported by my ecm (even by accident) will shut the truck down. Not cool in traffic, or pulling the 5th wheel etc. I'd love to get this sorted out, but it's more of a curiousity since I have manual gauges for the important stuff, it's just a bonus to have the added info.

Arisley

Reaction score
Early 99 would be an XLE probably.

I don't think a 2003 would work (wiring changes).

I know for a fact that a PMT 1 or 2 will work.

cleatus12r

Reaction score
I still don't associate changing the PCM with the word "upgrade" but then again very few things that get changed out for no reason are called "upgrades" even though they do nothing in the way of increasing reliability, efficiency, or power.

I do understand your reason for wanting to change the PCM in your case but keep in mind that the e99 PCMs need different formulas for aftermarket scan tool support.

You'll also need to get different tuning after the PCM change.

To answer your other question though, yes, a comparable transmission/emissions 2003 PCM WILL work fine other than the water in fuel light will be on all the time.

Latest posts

Members online