e99 f350 Compression Test

riverboy460

Reaction score
Ok heres the deal. I have been looking up how to compression test this truck. I already bought the diesel compression tester kit from harbor freight and modified it with a 9 inch grease gun whip hose and put the quick detachment fitting on the end of that. the harbor freight kit includes the glow plug test fitting.

so now all I need to know is how to properly perform the test. I know I need to let the engine warm up first. shut it off and remove glow plugs. but what I am unclear on is what to disconnect. do I just undo the connector to the valve cover gasket on both sides and perform the test. cant really find a write up that explains everything that needs to be disconnected to do it right so I don't damage the engine. thanks for the help.

reason why im wanting to check the compression is because I have a few issues going on right now. I bought this truck with 72,000 miles on it and it now has 85,000. I fried my pcm with the chip my fault replaced it. truck ran good for awhile and I had a hpop leak fixed that and resealed the fuel bowl as well. new oem ipr in the pump when I installed the adrenaline. I have developed a idle surge when warm now. no codes on my ae related to this. however I did have the truck die on me once 3 months ago. casued a p0340 I think it is for the cps. been fine since.

I noticed I have been loosing power at least feels like it to me. fails number 8 for a cct test on ae. but I have been told its because of the grey cps. compression test will rule this out. I also recently noticed I have what looks like black oil droplets in my coolant resovoir and also looks like some build up on the side walls of it as well. i am suspecting bad injector orings and cups maybe. not sure if its fuel or oil. injectors all buzz good. no coolant in oil looks normal on dipstick. I consume maybe a quart of oil every 3,000 miles. I change my oil every 3k in the truck since I have owned it.

I just purchased full force diesel stage 1.5 180/30cc single shot injectors. bought a riff raff frx. and ccv mod. also ordered 8 new injector cups from clay along with his rental tool and 620 locktite along with a oil cooler reseal kit. I am trying to build this truck to be reliable and pull my 5th wheel and boat. so far its been a money pit so im trying to work it out. I don't need a hot rod. I originally ordered stage 2 injectors but after talking to Pat at ffd I realized that it was over kill so dialed it back to the 1.5's.

current mods are a S&b cold air intake, trans boost and pyro gauges, adrenaline hpop, 4 inch turbo back mbrp exhust and a php hydra tuner.

thanks for any and all advice. im mechanically inclined for automotive and just learning the diesel side since I bought this truck.

can cracked injector cups allow exhaust gases in the coolant tank? truck dose not run hot at all always runs normal.

mandkole

Reaction score
What I do ;
-cold motor (clearances are looser)
-remove all glowplugs to reduce the work on the starter
-install gauge on cyl
-With remote starter switch, roll the motor 5 times.
-as the motor rolls the first few times gauge value will increase
-on 5th gauge spike, record the value

Reaction score
What I do ;
-cold motor (clearances are looser)
-remove all glowplugs to reduce the work on the starter
-install gauge on cyl
-With remote starter switch, roll the motor 5 times.
-as the motor rolls the first few times gauge value will increase
-on 5th gauge spike, record the value

You don't have to disconnect the fuel pump wiring? I've kinda always wonderd how to do this myself.

Arisley

Reaction score
Nope, when you disconnect the 42 pin connector, the injectors cannot fire. If they don't fire, no fuel will be injected into the motor.

ju015dd

Reaction score
Yep , pull all glow plugs, 42 pin connecstor . bump engine over to clear cylinders . install test tool on which ever cylinder you wish to start. Bump engine over 5 revolutions and record reading. Repeat for the remaining 7.

riverboy460

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Can u tell me where the 42 pin connector is i am assuming its the one on drivers side in front of engine? Its a square looking one right?

m j

Reaction score
you dont even turn the ignition on so no fuel pump etc will run , jump the starter solenoid to spin it

riverboy460

Reaction score
I didnt do it i had bad luck and dropped the harbor frieght glow plug adapter down the lifter galley and spent a while fishing it out. Ended up removing the last rocker arm on #8. I was only going to do it because i have a very slight rpm miss at idle only. I just did all 8 injector cups and put in full force stage 1.5 reman injectors. They are 180/30. Im anput to add a frx which is in my garage and do the ccv mod both from riff raff diesel. I was skeptical on doing all this work if engine needed work but i jut figured i would go back in another day to do the test after the bad luck. I found a piece of fuel hose in my garage so next time should go smoother to install the tool. Thanks for the replies. Ill update what they are when i do them this weekend maybe.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.