Early 04 no start

Jdiamond

Reaction score
A while back I had posted about my truck randomly shutting off and not running again. It fires up for a second and then shuts off. I've checked out all of the basic stuff while cranking icp, ficm, ipr, battery voltage, sync, fuses, grounds appeared to be alright, fuel pressure and tried a different injector harness. Everything checked out ok but it still doesn't run. The closest plug in to the cab on the ecm does smell pretty burnt. Is there any way I could test it? Or anything else I should look for because I'm running out of ideas.
Thanks.

webb06

Reaction score
A while back I had posted about my truck randomly shutting off and not running again. It fires up for a second and then shuts off. I've checked out all of the basic stuff while cranking icp, ficm, ipr, battery voltage, sync, fuses, grounds appeared to be alright, fuel pressure and tried a different injector harness. Everything checked out ok but it still doesn't run. The closest plug in to the cab on the ecm does smell pretty burnt. Is there any way I could test it? Or anything else I should look for because I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks.

If you have access to a wiring diagram you can ohm the wiring in that particular plug if you think it could be a problem. Not sure why it would get hot though.

What's ICP reach whenever cranking?

Jdiamond

Reaction score
Everything else seems to be checking out ok. I air tested it and found no leaks. All the injector copper washers and o rings look good

webb06

Reaction score
When it would randomly shut off before was it an instant shut off or slowly lose power and die?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jdiamond

Reaction score
The truck would start and run perfect. It was a cold snowy day, didn't have it plugged in, started it and let it run for about 15 min while I shoveled some snow. Jumped in it and it had warmed up a bit. I had the heater and headlights on and when I turned the wipers on to push snow off the windshield, they started to struggle and slow then then it abruptly died. The gauges got all weird like the left turn signal light was stuck on. After about 15 seconds all the lights shut off. I cycled the key and all the lights came on like normal it cranked normal and fired normal and just shuts off. As dumb as it may sound, it's almost like the wipers killed the truck. My ficm has been tested good, no cel light and no codes that should apply to my issue. I'm thinking something on the electrical side of things. The only thing I have found was that the ecm smelled kind of burnt. I found one damaged wire and repaired it. The ground straps don't look bad but could look better (part number?) I haven't came acrossed anyone with these symptoms and it's driving me nuts. All fuses seem to be good also.
Thanks

Jdiamond

Reaction score
This happened back in January and I still have not figured it out. It only runs for about a second so there's no chance of driving it. And the peddle has no affect on it running.

Jdiamond

Reaction score
Have the cab up now doing head gaskets and cleaning stuff up that needed cleaned. When I get the cab back on I might try a different ecm and hope for the best.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Bad alternator maybe? Could be overcharging, and for some reason shutting it off to protect stuff.

Jdiamond

Reaction score
I replaced the alternator a couple years ago. What's a good way to check it for over charging?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Multi meter with no load and full load. Possibly check it at rpm as well to rule out overcharging above idle.

webb06

Reaction score
I'd try swapping ecm's. Take alternator to get tested while it's off now just to check. I've never seen one shut off from overcharging though, typically the battery light just comes on.

Ecm or maybe water got in to some connection when you wiped the snow/water off the windshield the first time. This one could be tough via Internet communication

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I'd try swapping ecm's. Take alternator to get tested while it's off now just to check. I've never seen one shut off from overcharging though, typically the battery light just comes on.

Ecm or maybe water got in to some connection when you wiped the snow/water off the windshield the first time. This one could be tough via Internet communication

To be honest, ive never seen one shut off either, but i have seen a mustang that was charging at 17v intermittently once and it started shutting things down to save it. Radio, climate control, instrument cluster. Figured a 6.0 may shut yhe ficm off eventually. The mustang had a fresh replacement from napa or something like that, no battery light on that one.

I agree that this is gonna be tough without being there in person.

Jdiamond

Reaction score
I'll definitely have it tested and Iv been trying to find an ecm. Does anyone know where I could find one?

webb06

Reaction score
Non that I know of but is it the same ecm 03-07?

The outside looks the same and it should work for you to at least try starting it. You'll probably get some engine lights and the trans may shift funky. I'd just swap and see if it'll start and run. If not then you know pcm isn't the problem.

Might be worth a call to your local salvage yard. Around me I can buy a used pcm for $100

Jdiamond

Reaction score
Would a ecm out of a zf6 truck work to start it? It just doesn't have anything in front plug

Latest posts

Members online