Early 04 stand pipe question

lzam6285

Reaction score
I am in the process of doing head gaskets and studs on my early 04, MFG 8/03. I'm also checking all the high pressure oil while I'm in there. I noticed that the stand pipes look differant than all the pics I see of 6liter stand pipes. Are they differant than the late 04 and up ones? Do I need to update them? Where there any issues with the early ones. It looks like a nice solid one piece stand pipe. Also do I need dummy plugs? It doesn't look like I do
Thanks for all your help in advance.

mint-6oh

Reaction score
From your description sounds like you have the early build log style oil rail (icp in hp oil pump cover). The log type oil rail doesn't have dummy plugs and also has different style standpipes than the ones that have been updated. Wouldn't be a bad idea to install new stanpipes while its apart though

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
While you don't have a STC fitting, you have a STC branch tube that bolts to the top of the pump. They blow out and could use the updated version that has the nylon insert. There are no up dates for the feed tubes, just install new ones. And except for the top injector o ring seal itself, that's about all that leaks on these.

2wd-fire

Reaction score
To answer all you questions no you don't need any of that. 03 hardly ever have hpop oil leaks. They switched Because the other manifolds idle smoother. I did have one of stanless steal lines go bad on mine but I do have 240k

STRAIGHTSTROKEN04

Reaction score
No he doesn't need it but why not do it while he is there? Each to there own but if I was there I would do it. One less thing you will have to do down the road. I have had to replace the stand pipe and dummy plugs and that didn't fix my hot no start. So I replaced everything so I didn't have to pull it all down again. Injectors were pulled and all new o rings along with oil rail o rings were installed no problems now.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Switch was for proper oil supply and less hydraulic wave

lzam6285

Reaction score
I do plan on doing the oil rail o rings. Just sent the heads out today and will probobly have them back Friday. The guy said they look great so they shouldn't need any work. I really appreciate all the info/ help.
Thanks.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yea, the heads usually look great. But then get em actually checked and it's a whole different story

Latest posts

Members online