Early 6.0 HPOP

jban126_f350

Reaction score
what do you guys think of this? customers truck came in with a long crank then start mostly when its cold. i ran diag on it found the IPR going to 85% instantly then would go down and ICP would climb very slowly. meanwhile i have base oil pressure. anyways i started digging in to high pressure system. air tested through the IPR port. heard a leak on both sides. i figured it was dummy plugs and/or stand pipes. i go ahead and update those. still hear leak toward the back. by the was this is a 04 with the wavy style oil rails. pull it apart more and find air coming out of front seal of oil hpop. i go ahead and pull it out and have a look. the ball thats on the side of it is gone and confirm leak is coming out of front seal. get a new one from ford. out of the box the ford reman has the same leak i call them and have them send me two more to experiment. i get different results from each. i put one in the has the least amount out air leakage and the truck runs like new no starting issues, no icp or ipr issues. now it is normal for those pumps to leak out of front seal? doesn't seem like it should. i appologize for the long winding back story of the diag process i know that probably bores most. anyways share your thoughts

webb06

Reaction score
Weird we have a similar truck in our shop now. 2004 6.0 came in with no hot start. Icp building to 120psi, typically meaning bad hpop. I had previously replaced both d plugs and standpipes along with the ipr. We replace the hpop and j tube. Road test and still no hot start. Air test and can hear air gurgling back through the oil filter housing and a leak that sounds like it's coming from the pump area. Plan on removing turbo and hpop cover Monday to see if the pump seal is leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghohouston

Reaction score
When i first started working on these trucks, i replaced an early style hpop, and had the big o ring under the pump just a little out of the groove. Truck was actually fine for a bit, but came back in with a no hot start. Haven't seen too many of them actually fail though.

webb06

Reaction score
Ended up finding the top injector seal where the oil rail sits bad. Should've pressurized it to begin with I suppose. Live and learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.