Ebpv questions

youngnick

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right area to post this in so if its not i apoligize ahead of time.....

The exhaust back pressure valve, its starting to get cold here in oklahoma and ive dealt with this issue last winter but never gave very much thought on the fact that it basically kicks on no matter if i let my truck warm up for 10 mins (its plugged in with a trickle charger and block heater every night) or i let it warm up for 30 mins. There is a lot of info with a quick google search on how it works and what it does and the often advice to just delete the entire thing. But.... what actually tells it that its that cold out? Is it the thermostat saying "im still cold, warm me up dude"? In other words whats telling it to close and why?

ToMang07

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right area to post this in so if its not i apoligize ahead of time.....

The exhaust back pressure valve, its starting to get cold here in oklahoma and ive dealt with this issue last winter but never gave very much thought on the fact that it basically kicks on no matter if i let my truck warm up for 10 mins (its plugged in with a trickle charger and block heater every night) or i let it warm up for 30 mins. There is a lot of info with a quick google search on how it works and what it does and the often advice to just delete the entire thing. But.... what actually tells it that its that cold out? Is it the thermostat saying "im still cold, warm me up dude"? In other words whats telling it to close and why?

I believe it's based on oil temp.

That said....just unplug it, and/or delete it. I deleted mine 3 years ago, no issues, and it gets a lot colder up here.

youngnick

Reaction score
ec9371b33a617f936b301623698c1d78.jpg
my needle never gets past the first normal mark. Even during the summer. Would that cause it to think its still cold?

ToMang07

Reaction score
The gauges are more or less "dummy" gauges. Only way to really know what temps are is to actually take a temp (independent gauges/sensors) or read the OEM sensors with a scanner. Problem is coolant isn't read by the PCM, so you'll never get an accurate reading.

You could have a bad/failing thermostat.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
The EBPV is activated when ambient air temperature is below 45* F and oil temperature is below 167* F. It is only activated at low load.

If it is coming on at times that do not meet the above qualifications, there is a problem somewhere in the system or with one of the sensors.

Reaction score
You can always remove and clean the tube that runs from the front of the passenger side exhaust manifold up to the EBP sensor by the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) reservoir. I use carb cleaner and some wire rope chucked in a variable speed drill to (just like a plumbing snake) clear the soot blockage. I also clean the fitting at the sensor and carefully clean the sensor. That solved the "activating at weird times" problem for me. Cheers!

ved0303

Reaction score
If your gauge indicates that the engine isn't warming up past the first line in the normal range like you said, then your thermostat is probably bad. As for the EBPV, it communicates with some other sensor because my truck is the same way. I have to drive it at full operating temp for a while before the EBPV stops closing. I'm going to unplug it because I'm getting sick of it haha.

superpsd

Reaction score
I still have my ebpv. If you unplug the intake tempature sensor it also disables the valve from operating. Like was said above however just unplug the solenoid.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.