EGT's ?

aceltx

Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me EGT's in depth,please!! I know 1200-1300f sustained is the max you should allow it to get, the cooler the better (obviously)no matter what. But what is normal????
When my truck is first started it idles 200-300f, at 68mph 1910rpm my egts are at 520f. Does that seem normal. What is a good range to always stayin in?

Arisley

Reaction score
Correct, now if you start going up hill at 70, the EGT's will climb a bit, If you start going down, they will drop a bit. The more your foot is in it, the higher they go.

On a motor up to operating temps, it will idle about 450º to 550º.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
As explained by others here, there really is no "normal" EGT. It will change constantly depending on what your foot is doing, what RPM you are at, if you are going up/down hill, etc. The general rule of thumb is to limit it at 1250*. Short periods of a higher temperature than that are okay, but you do not want to sustain those kinds of temps.

For me... At idle, I am normally around 300-400*. Cruising @ 60mph I am normally around 600-700*.

aceltx

Reaction score
Ok great thanks. I know it is always changing but i remember someone telling me 900 was high, and when i get on the throttle to accelerate quick you cant keep it under 800-900.

mandkole

Reaction score
Ok great thanks. I know it is always changing but i remember someone telling me 900 was high, and when i get on the throttle to accelerate quick you cant keep it under 800-900.

900 is high if your sensor is in the downpipe.. a lot of guys used to run them there and it was the old school location on big trucks. As said, 1250 is the known limit when the sensor is in the manifold/uppipe position.

Latest posts

Members online