Electric issue

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
Well guys I have had an intermittent electrical issue for years. Sometimes when I turn the key forward to start the truck the radio and power windows won't turn on, the climate control and power locks works but not the windows and radio.

I just got my truck back together, and we had the wiring ran wrong in the doors causing it to rub the wiring harness. It rubbed through the tan/lt blue and white/blk wires on the harness going to the front window control switch. Well I tried splicing in new wire And hoping that worked, but still nothing. The back window switch works as do the locks and mirror adjustments just not that switch. The ground is one solid wire coming up that splits to each module so I don't think it is a ground issue so I am stumped there. Could the short have caused the switch to burn up?

The main thing I need to figure out is how to get my windows and radio to turn on every time, as it is hard to diagnose a window switch when there's no power going to it.

Any help is greatly appreciated at this point in time as I need the truck to be back together tomorrow at latest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

co04cobra

Reaction score
Yes a short can burn up the switch and probably did. I would start there, but the radio problem could be a GEM module or different problem.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
It looks like the white/black wire going to the switch is brown. but if it burnt the switch wouldn't it burn the rest of it as well? without the plug plugged in none of the window switches work in the truck. plug that plug in and the back 2 on the drivers panel roll down and all 3 door switches work. could it burn up just a section of the window switch??

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
got everything to turn on, and the lights dont even illuminate in the front 2 switches on the panel which would lead me to think it probably shorted itself out? the wires that had insulation rubbed were right next to eachother in the bundle so I would believe they touched, but those wires are the power and ground to the drivers side window motor.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
Window switch is bad. But today going down the highway the radio and windows shut off for like an hour or so and then came back on. No rhyme or reason. I've been told gem but I don't know if the truck has one for sure because I can't find it where it normally is. I know some 02s do some dont.

co04cobra

Reaction score
It's a VSM on 02s. Only ones i have seen w/o are c&c trucks. Sounds like your issue

co04cobra

Reaction score
If you order new. Yes has to be programmed. A used one from a truck the same cab config as yours will iinterchange w/o programming.

co04cobra

Reaction score
That is all you need to know. I will have to check my parts and get back to you. We have been very busy and its hard to get time to search over in the parts yard for very long. You will have to forgive me if it takes a few days to check.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
That is all you need to know. I will have to check my parts and get back to you. We have been very busy and its hard to get time to search over in the parts yard for very long. You will have to forgive me if it takes a few days to check.

Not a problem! Keep me posted

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
don't know if this matters, but if i hit the dash above the stereo and to the left about 4 inches real hard everything seems to turn on. 9 times out of 10 that works the other 1 out of 10 if i hit below the cubby hole it turns on.

co04cobra

Reaction score
VSM is mounted to the firewall behind the radio. Might try getting to it to see if the wires are loose.

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
My 02 vsm in my club cab is mounted above the glove box as you might want to look there to. Let the glove box swing down (pust together the tab on each side of the glove box when its opened and it will swing straight down) then look up in the hole and right above the right side of the glove box opening is where the vsm prob is. Mine had 2 or 3 plugs (cant remember right now) all on the left side of the box and there will be a number on it and 2 big letters. my 02 number is 2C3T-14B205-AA yours could be a different number thought but thats what it will look like then aftewr it there will be 2 big letters. The 02 trucks are prone to having these go bad and do all types of weird stuff.

Latest posts

Members online