Electrical Gremlin

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
Well guys i have had problems with my electrical for years. Randomly when i go to start the truck, my power windows and stereo won't work, but if i hit the clock button the clock shows up. This is making me believe it is a switched 12V wire issue. The newest issue that has started is the OD off button only works when i hold the steering wheel tilted all the way down and even then it doesn't work half the time. This is leading me to think it is something in the column/ignition switch?

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

stackedstroker

Reaction score
Your od issue is probably under the top cover of the steering column the wires are very small and tend to rub together and short out when the column is up, I've replaced several shifters because of that. You have to buy the shifter with the wires already in it!

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
Your od issue is probably under the top cover of the steering column the wires are very small and tend to rub together and short out when the column is up, I've replaced several shifters because of that. You have to buy the shifter with the wires already in it!

If that is the case ill figure out how to wire in a toggle switch that sounds pricey!

stackedstroker

Reaction score
i dont remember the price but i know it was a lot cheaper than i thought it would be! if thats the problem. i know how you feel about the electrical gremlins my truck went through a mid life crisis at about 300,000 miles it was something electrical about every month! includinding the OD problem your having. in a year it fried 3 pcms cause of something with the throttle position sensor, but the last 3 years i havnt had any problems so hopefully it fixed itself!

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
i dont remember the price but i know it was a lot cheaper than i thought it would be! if thats the problem. i know how you feel about the electrical gremlins my truck went through a mid life crisis at about 300,000 miles it was something electrical about every month! includinding the OD problem your having. in a year it fried 3 pcms cause of something with the throttle position sensor, but the last 3 years i havnt had any problems so hopefully it fixed itself!

Hope so! Im going to try pricing one out. I need to figure out the window and stereo problem too. I am almost thinking it is an ignition switch because my dinger doesnt work half the time either when the key is in. Gotta wiggle it to get it to ding.

Milford

Reaction score
I have the same problemwith my windows and my stereo. I am guessing its a GEM module problem but I am subscribed to this.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I would question the GEM module as well. When you go to start the truck and those things don't work do they come on later while driving, or do you have to restart the truck?

Maybe start looking at the wiring going in and out of the column for loose connections or wires rubbing together.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
I would question the GEM module as well. When you go to start the truck and those things don't work do they come on later while driving, or do you have to restart the truck?

Maybe start looking at the wiring going in and out of the column for loose connections or wires rubbing together.

It will come on later on while driving

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
A friend of mine was having the same problem with the radio. For him, it ended up being a relay that wasn't in all the way in the fuse block under the hood.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Does your electronic 4x4 pose any issues as well? I had a bad GEM up under the glove box behind the airbag and it occasionally deactivated the radio and window switches for the first 30secs to one minute after a startup. Leaky windshield.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
Does your electronic 4x4 pose any issues as well? I had a bad GEM up under the glove box behind the airbag and it occasionally deactivated the radio and window switches for the first 30secs to one minute after a startup. Leaky windshield.

Switch always works but the lights flash on and off

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
GEM is under (above) the glove box on 2002 and 2003 model year trucks only. $260, next time i'm at the junkyard im wearing a puffy jacket and looking for a 2002-2003 with ESOF

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
I am almost thinking it is an ignition switch because my dinger doesnt work half the time either when the key is in. Gotta wiggle it to get it to ding.

Same here, but my friend let his switch be until it died, then it was a b!tch to get out for some reason, I forget now, but something about the tumbler being broken that it made it hard to come out. Im replacing mine before this happens.

just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Members online