Electrical issue got me stumped...

NC714

Reaction score
It is unlikely, but worth a double check. I wish I had wiring diagram to look at. Not sure exactly what all is powered from the fusible links coming off the battery side of the starter solenoid, but if my memory serves me correctly I believe there are two sets of fusible links there? One going to the GPR/AIH and the other going elsewhere, distribution box maybe? I'll quit rambling.

The fusible links that you found melted, where did the wire go from there? Over to the engine toward the GPR/IAH relays?

79jasper

Reaction score
2002F_Excursion_Econoline1.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

CSIPSD

Reaction score
The fuseable links that melted are at the starter solenoid... One wire splits into two...

12039265_514963822012024_746754154847618794_n.jpg

11220943_514963842012022_6523777392125677903_n.jpg

12003950_514963862012020_9067197256200349794_n.jpg

Thought I would out smart it and cut it out, replace it with a Max fuse... But that didnt work.

Now the whole mess is bypassed, with a battery cable going from the output of the ALT to the battery...

NC714

Reaction score
If you trace that wire by hand, where does it go? There is certainly a problem somewhere down stream of that. I am going purely on memory but I believe on my 99 that wire went from the solenoid through the fuse links then over to the GPR/AIH relays, to ultimately end at the Alternator terminal.

IF that is the case, then I only think of a few things that would melt the fuse links

1. Dead short from wiring somewhere in the line.
2. Excessive draw / short from Glow plug circuit
3. Excessive draw / short from AIH circuit
4. Internal short at the Alternator

Follow the wire from the fusible links that burned and see where it goes, inspecting for damage along the way.

Dieselwrench

Reaction score
I just remembered mine once decided to have a dead short and blow fuses. The problem was with the fuel bowl on top of the engine. There is some kind of wiring there that shorted. I think it was under the small filter assembly. My memory is foggy, it was three service trucks ago.

NC714

Reaction score
I just remembered mine once decided to have a dead short and blow fuses. The problem was with the fuel bowl on top of the engine. There is some kind of wiring there that shorted. I think it was under the small filter assembly. My memory is foggy, it was three service trucks ago.

That sounds like the fuel bowl heater. The fuel bowl heater is prone to short out and blow a fuse that also powers the PCM, which will cause the engine not to run.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
No fuel bowl, no intake air heater, no wastegate control wires, no EBPV wires... My harness is fairly stripped.

NC714

Reaction score
No fuel bowl, no intake air heater, no wastegate control wires, no EBPV wires... My harness is fairly stripped.

I realized from your list of mods that was probably the case. Which is why I am focusing on the large gauge wire fed by the fuse links that you found melted. If you can confirm that wire feeds the GPR/AIH/ALT (I realize your AIH is ******d) then we can start isolating individual components.

And FWIW, you may want to consider replacing the Maxx Fuse holder with Fuse links again.

Reason being, again Im going off the premise that this is the wire feeding the GPR, is that the glow plugs draw a lot of current. Enough to blow even the 60 amp fuse eventually. Fuse links can handle this short period of current more like a "slow blow" fuse, and allow the glow plugs to operate for their intermittent use, but still protect the circuit in case of High current shorts to ground, failed alternator, etc.

Just more food for thought, Let me know what you find!

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I realized from your list of mods that was probably the case. Which is why I am focusing on the large gauge wire fed by the fuse links that you found melted. If you can confirm that wire feeds the GPR/AIH/ALT (I realize your AIH is ******d) then we can start isolating individual components.

And FWIW, you may want to consider replacing the Maxx Fuse holder with Fuse links again.

Reason being, again Im going off the premise that this is the wire feeding the GPR, is that the glow plugs draw a lot of current. Enough to blow even the 60 amp fuse eventually. Fuse links can handle this short period of current more like a "slow blow" fuse, and allow the glow plugs to operate for their intermittent use, but still protect the circuit in case of High current shorts to ground, failed alternator, etc.

Just more food for thought, Let me know what you find!

It was more directed at the other poster...

I will look at replacing the fuseable links. I think my best bet now is to replace the entire harness for now.

Is anyone driving there truck and could stop, pop the hood and tell me how hot your Alt is? Mine is so hot it will burn your hands in a few seconds. I dont have a way to check the temp (going to swing by Home Depot tonight and grab an IR)... But I am just curious if Mine is hot, or if they all are. Of course its 100* here in PHX so...

NC714

Reaction score
After driving mine about 15-20 minutes, my alternator is 145F measured with an IR gun. Too hot to hold your hand on.

NC714

Reaction score
I think my best bet now is to replace the entire harness for now.

This will fix the issue if its a wiring issue. (Short to ground via damaged harness) It will also give you Fuse links back. If there is an issue with a component (Glow plugs, Alternator, etc) it will result in melting the newly installed harnesses fuse links. Not saying I wouldn't do it, I would just feel better know what the problem was before replacing the harness

I did confirm via a harness I had at home, and a wiring diagram for my 99.5, that the fuse links going to the engine harness only power GPR, AIH, and go to the lug on the ALT. So a problem at any of the other wiring for engine sensors would not melt the fuse links there.

There is a second set of fuse links on the diagram (and on my truck) that power a distribution box. Both originate from the Starter solenoid. (total of 4 fuse links, two sets of two links spliced into 1 feeder wire) If these are the fuse links that got burned, the replacing the engine harness won't help. I think the wiring from a 99.5 to 01 is the same?

Did you ever confirm if your burnt fuse links are the ones leading to the engine harness? Hope some of this helps

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I am 90% sure its the one that runs from the ALT, to the glow plugs, to the starter solenoid.

I hope to have time tomorrow to pull the harness and check it out closely.

Jomax

Reaction score
Don't know if you saw my post. But I can get you a harness in phx for 100$

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

NC714

Reaction score
Gauging by your symptoms I would think it is too. Looks like you have a harness close by. If you have access to a multi-meter I can give you a few things to check out to help narrow down the problem, if you like.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Don't know if you saw my post. But I can get you a harness in phx for 100$

I am Beyond tight right now. If its still around for next week I'll take it, but just had a ton of **** come up at home.

Jomax

Reaction score
It'll probably still be around. Lemme know. And if you need a IR gun I have one.

Latest posts

Members online