Engine balancing and flexplates

timj

Reaction score
My engine machinist is ready to balance my rotating assembly with Carrillos and HD coated flycut pistons. Any thoughts or data using my stock flexplate for balancing now vs a Suncoast flexplate that I should have next week but don't want to wait and hold up engine assembly.

6.4f350

Reaction score
Flex plate should be balanced on its own so it shouldn't matter. To err on the side of caution I would wait to use the plate that's going in your truck though.

timj

Reaction score
My stock flexplate has two large blocks welded close to each other on one side of it. It is clearly not a neutral balance by itself.

timj

Reaction score
Correct. He's wrong. I would wait

That's what I figured as much as I don't want to wait. But it's only being done once and done right! Be curious to know if I had him do the balancing with the stock plate, if things would be off or not since people change around flexplates all the time.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
To have the balance perfect wait. They will not be off by much.
The other way to do if you wanted is to have him balance the assembly with a neutral flex plate. The knock the weights off the plate.
Or both plates are most likely only off by a small amount, as in you wont be able to see it in the weight of things. I would wait though. The higher the weight off or the RPM the more vibration.

timj

Reaction score
Yes thanks tbsimmons. Flexplate should be here tomorrow. I figured that it needs a flexplate for balancing since the flexplates themselves are not a neutral balance. The stock plate I figured would have gotten us close enough since everyone swaps these out with no issues. But my assembly will be balanced with the billet flexplate that is staying on it so we will be dead nuts.

Latest posts

Members online