Engine block coolant ports

CamTom12

Reaction score
So I finally got all the peices of my Webasto heater in and have started planning the install.

So far I think I've got it all figured out except for the block. I think there's a drain plug on the bottom of the block (both sides, but the starter blocks the passenger side?) and I'm looking for one on the top of the block.

I can also plumb it in parallel with some of the other coolant lines but I'd rather try to get it straight to the block to maximize radiant heating to the other fluids.

Any help would be awesome, especially if you have pictures!

CamTom12

Reaction score
Looking at the cooling system diagrams that Dustin put up, I wonder if I could use the EGR cooler return port?

The way I want to do it, the system will draw coolant from the top of the block and push heated coolant into the bottom of the block. There's not enough throughput on the Webasto pump to run it in series with anything, but there should be negligable engine-on coolant flow between these two areas I'd think.

Any ideas?

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I would suck from the bottom and return to the top. I know there should not be air in the system at the top side but I would hate to have pump cavitation.
Also I have not looked that close to the coolant flow on these trucks but I would keep in mind the thermostats. If the EGR dumps into the block then i dont see a problem, but if the flow would have to go through thermostats then the pump will dead head.
I would try and see if you can put a 90 on the passenger side. I thought there was enough room to install one when I put my block heater in.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.