engine bulder advise... boring 6.4 block without torque plate?

78f100

Reaction score
I took my block to the most highly recommended machine shop around here today. He says he can bore it but does not have a torque plate for it. Is that ok to do on these? Also he said there are 2 ways he can do it, he can bore to a published # for the block, or I can order pistons and he will bore and finish it to fit by their actual measurements. He is gonna clean the block and measure the bores to get a rough idea as to what size pistons I need. He said he has no idea of what the bore clearances should be on these motors but can just go by factory specs. Anyone have any opinions on this? How do y'all do it?

tbsimmons

Reaction score
This is from SBC, but I would never have a block bored without a plate and bolted on with what I was going to use, studs or bolts.
On the bore size I have always told the machine shop what to bore too, which is from piston size.
I am sure the big boys will come out to give you better answers, but I dont see why this would be any different.

Smokyred

Reaction score
Use a torque plate, the block flexes differently once you bolt heads on, using a torque plate during machining replicates that effect.

I'd bore for the pistons you buy but some may consider that a little over the top for most builds.

Dave

78f100

Reaction score
Pretty sure im gonna go pick it up tomorrow then and try to find someone with a tq plate for it. Anyone know a good shop in North Fl, AL, GA. no one here has ever done one.

Smokyred

Reaction score
Only other thing that comes to mind is a 6.0 torque plate may not work because of the smaller head bolt size vs. the 6.4. The 6.4 bolts may not go through the 6.0 torque plate.

Dave

78f100

Reaction score
thanks for the info guys, I picked it up from the guy yesterday gonna take it to someone else who has the right plate if I can find them.

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Hopefully you can find one you can rent. Thats how all the cummings guys around me do it. They either all went in on one or one guy did and sends it around michigan

78f100

Reaction score
Got a BHJ plate on the way, they are building me one. They had never made one for a 6.4, most just used one from a 6.0. He is adding the 6.4 one to their product list if anyone else is looking for one.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.