Engine swap

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
So my friend bought a e99 truck. The motor was bad at the dealership and they agreed to put a used motor in. They put a 2001 motor in the rig he says the power is low.

I have been out of 7.3 for awhile but I think he needs to change the injectors back or change the computers. Am I wrong or what would be best?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Unless they put "bad" injectors in the truck, then no, thats not the problem. Has your friend checked basic things like boost/ exhaust leaks? Looked for anything loose under the hood? Did ford compression test the motor they installed?

PSD715

Reaction score
If they put it in with the 01 injectors, he's better off just retuning it than going backwards to smaller ones. But either way would technically work.

PSD715

Reaction score
Unless they put "bad" injectors in the truck, then no, thats not the problem. Has your friend checked basic things like boost/ exhaust leaks? Looked for anything loose under the hood? Did ford compression test the motor they installed?

Not much difference in tuning for ABs vs ADs?
Or 17* pump vs 15*?

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
Private used car lot. Just got it back this afternoon. He just showed it to me. I didn't here any exhaust leaks and he has no gauges yet. I cant drive it do to booze right now.

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
If they had an e99 it probably has a XLE4 PCM and the 2001 7.3l injectors won't operate properly with that one. Have him look into a PMT1 or PMT2 PCM, I know there are other calibrations as well.

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
If they had an e99 it probably has a XLE4 PCM and the 2001 7.3l injectors won't operate properly with that one. Have him look into a PMT1 or PMT2 PCM, I know there are other calibrations as well.

What about the idm? Doesn't the e99 have single shots and the 2001 have split shots or something? I cant remember.

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
They upgraded to 120v. There is a mod to increase the voltage to 140v for both by adding a resistor, 75k on the 110v and a 73.2k for the 120v.

ghohouston

Reaction score

Why exactly wouldnt they operate "properly"? Its just a little bigger of an injector, its still a split shot, so why wouldnt it operate properly?

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
Well he is trying to get the pcm out of the truck that motor came from. I will post back on his butt dyno results when it's done.

Latest posts

Members online