Evil iron oxide

msmith

Reaction score
Coudn't figure out where to post this, so since it is an 07, I figured here was good enough.

I was crawling around under the truck and took notice to the rusted areas. Kind of makes me sick. I hate that the DOH guys use so much salt, but if they didn't, people would whine. I should have been more diligent at hosing it out underneath.

Anyway, here are some shots on the passenger side. Driver's side looks identical.

This is on the cab;

D6E039FE-C396-499A-9824-7F612162C768_zpsuhnssncm.png

D12A5A3A-6F8F-4A54-A415-611C0B6006B8_zps7bxomtr0.png

B044D59D-18A5-4E93-A8EF-3438F2276279_zpswndyjhti.png

This is on the bed;

7CB07772-77DE-431A-830F-BFE87172D0B7_zpsi5mbkrzp.png

9E5E11EF-372B-465B-90BB-584653D7CB32_zpsiysea79i.png

B3FDE974-0961-497D-B1A7-38F8DD154D4A_zpst6dfkdke.png

The truck is kinda special to me because I bought it new. Other than the few times the wifey drove it, I have put on all of the 99k that is on the ticker. Since I bought it new, I would like to literally keep it and wear it out, especially since I got sticker shock looking at new ones. The interior is perfect except for some wear on the driver's seat.

41688D31-44AC-48CB-95B4-9C1081A509CA_zpshsgm3tpm.jpg

So, not being a body guy, what would be my best angle of attack on this situation? Is the bed salvageable? If so, I kinda figured on pulling it, standing it on end and go at it with a wire wheel. Cab probably has to stay on, so that is going to make it a bit more difficult.

I have a sandblaster. I figured on going at it with the sand, a wire wheel, and a regular wire brush. Rusty spots on the body and the frame too. Then what to put on it? Rusty metal primer, then Rustoleum, or Chassis saver or something similar? Is it even worth messing with?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Blast the rust off as good as you can then spray it with Osphro. You can get it at ACE, it does the same thing as POR15 at about 1/4 the cost. Just follow the directions on the jug.

Your rear fender wells are rusted through from the inside out, those lil bubbles are full of water. No way to rly fix that without sheet metal replacement. I just put some stock looking flares on mine that i bought from Amazon for around $200 to cover that rust up, im thinking the truck will be dead before that rust creeps up above the fender flares.

msmith

Reaction score
Ospho. I'll give it a shot. Yeah, the bed kinda stinks. May do bed sides later or, or, or, perhaps do a dually conversion and go with a Moritz flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Csilva187

Reaction score
Good luck! I had an 05 that came from Michigan that was fuct! I spent two months after work and weekends tweaking out on it, looked good, next spring fuct again. I used a wire wheel, rust treatment, and rustoleam paint. Maybe if I hit it again it might have lasted... I traded it in...
image.jpg

TyCorr

Reaction score
The seat: get a good clean scrubbrush. Get some of that aerosol can foam "scrubbing bubbles". Spray the foam on the brush, scrub the leather, wipe with a clean cloth. It'll restore that matte finish new leather has. Just be sure to condition it well afterwards.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Ospho. I'll give it a shot. Yeah, the bed kinda stinks. May do bed sides later or, or, or, perhaps do a dually conversion and go with a Moritz flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The osphro rly works wonders, just dont get any on your arms or in your eyes. Lol
Its phosphoric acid and will cause chem burns, i sprayed my most my whole flat trailer with it. Parts i treated are still rust free, other parts i didnt are getting worse than they already where.

msmith

Reaction score
I'm gonna give the ospho a shot. I am thinking the bed is beyond any "cheap" fix. Looks like some major repair or replacement. If I can get the cab going good I may get some estimates from a body shop on the bed or start looking at flats. It's not a daily driver anymore, so a flat would not be out of the question if it is fiscally advantageous.

Latest posts

Members online