Exhaust w/Delete - Muffler vs. Straight Pipe

KrisH

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm planning on running an aftermarket exhaust system along with a DPF delete on a Super Duty I'm building this year and wanted some input and opinions on my options.

On my last truck, we ran a custom-built straight piped side exhaust with a DPF delete. It sounded insane, but it was a PITA to have fabbed and now I'm seeing more exhaust kits coming out from AFE, MBRP, etc. I'm noticing they have muffler options. What does the muffler cut down on? Overall loudness mostly, or does it cut down on the howl when you let off the gas?

These trucks sound wicked opened up but there were times when I wouldn't have minded a slightly toned down sound. Do the mufflers even make a difference with a DPF delete on the truck? If someone's got videos that'd be awesome, but just some input would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Kris

4EverBoosted1

Reaction score
I had a Flo-Pro 5" with muffler and it was perfect. The muffler definitely kills any drone yet lets the exhaust rip when you put it to the floor

Btw- now I have a stack with custom setup so no longer running a Flo pro muffler.

KrisH

Reaction score
Nice, thanks for the info! How about the howling sound, does it tone that down at all?

4EverBoosted1

Reaction score
Yeah for sure. To be honest, a 5" with muffler will not be too loud no matter what. Take my word for it, these trucks are pretty toned down even with straight exhaust.

Strictlysmoke

Reaction score
Im in the same ball park, I'm looking for exhaust but I am getting different answers from everyone. Some are telling me that I should go with a straight pipe and that it is not loud, some are telling me to get a muffler do to alot of highway driving to cut back on the noise and drone, and some are telling me that there is no drone with a straight pipe. Can someone please post a video of a 6.7 with a straight pipe vs one with a muffler please.

Default15405

Reaction score
The flo-pro muffler keeps the sound down pretty quiet at idle and regular driving but will sounds almost like a straight pipe when you get on it. I decided to stick with the straight pipe because the turbo howl is pretty subdued with the muffler...i love turning heads when i let off so it had to go.

onebadf150

Reaction score
The flo-pro muffler keeps the sound down pretty quiet at idle and regular driving but will sounds almost like a straight pipe when you get on it. I decided to stick with the straight pipe because the turbo howl is pretty subdued with the muffler...i love turning heads when i let off so it had to go.

Agreed! If you want less noise in the cab dynamat the rear wall.

KrisH

Reaction score
We did our entire interior with a kit from Quiet Ride Solutions and with the windows up, the truck was really mellow sounding, even with the straight pipe exhaust. It's a full kit so it covers your full interior, though not everyone will want to tear the interior out of their trucks to put it in. Just doing the rear wall might help a lot though.

CDUBYA

Reaction score
I have a straight with a muffler, it is loud when you get on it but failry quite when you are not. I plan to take the muffler off soon and see the difference. I will try and get some video of the muffler on and then off.
Btw mine is only 4" exhaust that dumps to the ground just after the rear diff.

BK39

Reaction score
Bringing this 1 back from the dead. Anyone ever try out the MBRP Quiet tone muffler? Or Aeroturbine Muffler?

I have tried my FloPro 5" with both muffler on and off, no difference in my opinion, both have bad drone at low RPM fueling on the highway.

My worry is spending the 150-200 bucks on 1 of these options, and it sounding no different then my FloPro muffler.

Latest posts

Members online